Page 60 of 558 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

This is a juvenile red bellied woodpecker from my backyard setup

40D + 300mm 2.8L + 1.4 TC + Tripod

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/IMG_5F00_1696.jpg[/img]

Joel, that's a very nice photo! Very sharp with a good background!

P.S. could you tell me what food you are using? It should be very delicious, because at least in Lithuania (Europe) I thought it's almost impossible to make a woodpecker to come to a backyard in summer

Thanks Tadas!

I use suet cakesand place them in in a small cage on hanging from a pole. There are many varieties,most birds don't show much preference but the woodpeckers really like the ones with peanut in them. All sorts of birds will eat suet cakes but it's a challenge to keep the squirrels away from them.

I purchase them from local stores such as Lowes, Tractor Supply or WalMart, I would assume you could find them or order them on the net. I have even seen recipes to make your own.

Joel

thank you guys very much for the comments. I have to say I really need photoshop for Post processing of bird shots, but it's very hard to get start with.it was very very frustrating, I only wish I had more time so I can take a class.....[]

again, Joel, this is another nice bird shot, I think your backyard set up and bird shots could be a standard of photography of bird portrait ---

a creamy background

a simple perch

a tack sharp bird

if I can't go out shoot anymore some day, I hope I can still at least do something like this in my backyard in stead of lying on the bed in hospital[:P]

Joel....another good shot.

But if I may pass on some info I discovered by mistake....earlier in the spring I came across orange flavored suet cakes, I normally by the peanut cakes, so I tried one to bring in the Orioles.

Lo and behold all the WPs (red bellied, hairy, downy and even the n. flickers) preferred the orange over the peanut butter. I have2 suet holders next to each other and I have to fill the orange one every 24 hours while the peanut butter cake will last 2 days. Yes the Orioles enjoy it also.

Re squirrels; I purchased a stand alone 10 pole w/4 hangers and a metalbaffle (2 feet in length x 6 inch diameter w/a scalloped base). I placed baffle about 4 feetup the pole frome the ground, I placedthe pole out of reach of the trees....in 4 yearsnot one squirrel has defeated this setup, but they keep trying.LOL

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.....I appreciate it.

Bill thanks for the tip on orange flavored suet....I haven't seen that anywhere....where did you get it if I may ask?

I have been using a squirrel baffle but it's smaller than the one you describe....I'll have to search for a slightly bigger one.

Joel....I get it at a grain store that has supplies forwild and pet bird, cat, dog and hosses, oh excuse me, horses.

They really love when I come in....I load the cart w/dog food, cat food and litter, w/seed and suet for the birds. Now you understand why I have a hard time saving money for new photography equipment. LOL

Name on packaging is Birdwatcher's Best, Orange Essence; www.pinetreefarmsinc.com

Thanks again Bill.....I agree with you....it can dig into your pockets to keep the bird feeders full year round!! It's great fun though and you don't even have to leave the house. Here's another RTH with the multiple flashes....I need to setup some better backgrounds eventually.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.32.28/343V9634.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade

I use suet cakesand place them in in a small cage on hanging from a pole. There are many varieties,most birds don't show much preference but the woodpeckers really like the ones with peanut in them. All sorts of birds will eat suet cakes but it's a challenge to keep the squirrels away from them.

I must have some finicky birds in my yard because I have tried all varieties and none of the birds touch them! I can't figure out why, I have it hanging right by the other bird feeders and none of them go near it.

Denise

Thanks for much useful info!

And this is my photo with two young Swallows.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.14/IMG_5F00_5905_2D00_1ss.jpg[/img]

Canon 50D, Canon 100-400mm, Lithuania.

Anycomments, critics and questions are welcome.

P.S. visit my new Facebook pagehttp://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tadas-Naujokaitis-photography/104571286264426?ref=sgm

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />