Page 72 of 558 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Thanks, John! [] I went to the Illinois State Beach Park to go deer "hunting" today and it is a rainy, dreary day. I didn't see any deer at all! All I saw was this hawk (I think it is ared-tail also) and some seagulls when I walked along the beach of Lake Michigan.

Denise

yes, Denis, I like this shot of the hawk too , especially the sharpness and full of details, well done[Y]

Quote Originally Posted by JJphoto

yes, Denis, I like this shot of the hawk too , especially the sharpness and full of details, well done[img]/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Thank you! Maybe there is hope for me yet![:P] []

Denise

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.26/_5F00_MG_5F00_7028-mic.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.26/_5F00_MG_5F00_6687-mic.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.22.26/_5F00_MG_5F00_6961.jpg[/img]

canon 40D + canon 400mm f2.8 +canon extender 1.4x

Beautiful images!! I am jealous.

Ok so I am going to be brave and post my "best" bird shot. I hope you all find it favorable.

Taken with my 40D + EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS @ 370mm 1/8000s, f/5.6, iso 400.

I'd like the duck please... by doggiedoc@tcah.com, on Flickr
    <div></div>

Hi, I have some new shots from my set-up in forest so I thought I could share them here. I have a problem with light (my camera settings usually are f/5.6, 1/20-50 and ISO 500, and you know how fast these little birds are). I tried to use on-camera flash, but I was getting better photos without it (and there were more birds in feeder). So now I usecontinuousshooting and am happy if I get a sharp photo. In one day I take 600-1000 photos (and spend 8-11 hours), only some images are good. Do you have any tips?

Two shots ofNuthatch:

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.14/IMG_5F00_9420sbp.jpg[/img]

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.45.14/IMG_5F00_9717sbp.jpg[/img]

Any comments, critics and questions are welcome.

Canon 50D + Canon 100-400mm

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tadas-Naujokaitis-photography/104571286264426?ref=sgm

Quote Originally Posted by Tadas N.

Hi, I have some new shots from my set-up in forest so I thought I could share them here. I have a problem with light (my camera settings usually are f/5.6, 1/20-50 and ISO 500, and you know how fast these little birds are). I tried to use on-camera flash, but I was getting better photos without it (and there were more birds in feeder). So now I usecontinuousshooting and am happy if I get a sharp photo. In one day I take 600-1000 photos (and spend 8-11 hours), only some images are good. Do you have any tips?

Two shots ofNuthatch:

Any comments, critics and questions are welcome.

Canon 50D + Canon 100-400mm

[url="http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tadas-Naujokaitis-photography/104571286264426?ref=sgm]http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tadas-Naujokaitis-photography/104571286264426?ref=sgm[/url]
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

Depending on the time of day, weather or shade; it sounds like you may have to bump up the ISO, because 1/20sec or 1/50sec in is not fast enough for moving birds at 400mm, it's even slow for static birds.

Please add anyadditional information that you could think of. What is the EXIF data for these shots, as compared to EXIF data for bad shots and pleasepost a bad shot. These look pretty good to me.

Some considerations for shooting in low light in the forest would be to; use a tripod, bump up the ISO to 800-1600, buy a wider aperture/ faster lens like f/2.8 or lastly, consider a FF Body or 1.3x crop body.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Tadas N.
    (my camera settings usually are f/5.6, 1/20-50 and ISO 500, and you know how fast these little birds are).

Thats anything but a fast shutter speed! Fast action starts at LEAST 1/320th of a second and faster. Also, stay away from those in between ISO's, ISO 500 is worst than 800. The ISO that are 1/3 stopslower from say 800 or 1600 are still OK because they are just pulling the exposure,butthe ISO's that are 1/3 stop fasterthan 400 or 800arebad becuase they are pushing the exposure badly.Daniel Browning will give the technicall details.

John.

<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="content-type" />

Fast Glass,I haven't seen your post when I wrote mine. That what you say about ISO is very interesting... Just I didn't understood everything clearly, maybe because I'm not good in English. As I understood, I should use ISO 400-800-1600, not between stops. And it's better to use 320-640-1250 than 500-1000-2000. Am I right?

-----------------------------------

The EXIF data of the first shot:

1/80 (because there was some sunshine through trees )

f/5.6

ISO 500

250mm

Of the second one:

1/50

f/5.6

ISO 500

300mm

I don't think it'snecessaryto post a bad shot, because bad shots are usually not sharp because of the movement of bird or slight camera shake. I've noticed that I get more sharp shots with shorter exposure time, but sometimes it's not enough light to use it. Earlier I was photographing with ISO 1600, but I was getting much too much noise, so I decided to use ISO not higher than 500. Also the DOF usually was too shallow, but I didn't want close aperture because I didn't have enough light, so I reduced the focal length. I use a tripod, but sometimes with longer exposures I get not sharp images. It would be very difficult to use a remote control because birds move very fast. Actually that fast birds' moving is the main reason of blurry images. However I don't know how to make them to be in one place longer (when they are still without food in their bill).

I think if I don't find a way to make birds pose longer, I will need to use a flash. As I said, I have tried some times to photograph with it, but birds usually fly away when I'm using it. But maybe after some time they will use to it? Additionally, when I set the camera's flash to give more light I get unnatural colors. Is it possible to solve this problem? Or is it necessary to buy some external flashes? Actually I have not enough money for a new lens/camera, even for external flash, but after some saving, it would be possible to buy it. But... maybe it's possible to make something with camera's fash?Thanks in advance!