Page 78 of 558 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    so hopefully I'll be getting some cool shots when I could set-up from land

Rich, I'm sure you will get very nice shots of it later, you got everything you need to take those shots(I don't recommend 2X TC though), just be patient, get closer, you will get it. can't wait to the results.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Sorry if you're growing tired of seeing all of my GBH shots

not at all Denise. I love to see any GBH shots, this one is really nice, the golden light does make difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Lane
    Nice gold fish capture too.., a shot like that would benefit from a Circ. Pol. because it will make the water look more realistic, cut out the harsh light and make the grass look more natural. The lighting in this shot above is much, much, better. Check out the CP thread from a couple of days ago, I put in some examples.

Good Morning Rich -

You are right about the CP filter. Always seems the filter I need, is the one I don't have with me! My only question though, on these last few shots above and one below taken at sunset my ISO was at f/1000 & some not posted were at f/1250 & f/1600 ...wouldn't a CP make me have to push that even higher? I have alot to learn about using filters!

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Good Morning Rich -

....My only question though, on these last few shots above and one below taken at sunset my ISO was at f/1000 & some not posted were at f/1250 & f/1600 ...wouldn't a CP make me have to push that even higher? I have alot to learn about using filters!

Hey Denise,

You know plenty..! You are correct, and you will have to judge each shooting situation individually. As you see, I spend a lot of time around the water, so all I ask is that you bring your CP Filter with you, if you know you'll be shooting over water, or in harsh mid-day light and you would like to improve the colors.

Your first shot with the Gold Fish would definitely have benefitted from it. The second two shots of yours probably did not need it, because as you stated you were pushing the ISO's up, and the light also appeared soft and fairly even.

If you look at my first shot with the big white bird, you could see that there is a nice reflection of the bird in the water along the waters edge, that's because that part of the water was in the shade, however, as the water gets exposed to the available non-polarized light (regular light), you can see that the reflection ends and the water looks fake. Although, I had the CP on my lens, I was using a focal length of 600mm on a rocking boat, so it was hard to turn the dial on the CP filter (I also kept forgetting to use it.., so I didn't use the filter properly in that shot), while holding the camera body with one hand, and the end of the lens with the other hand and trying not to fall over with my other hand.

My shot was 600mm @ f/5.6, 1/800sec, ISO 160, so I was clearly able to use it. If you are able to cut your speed in half without pushing the ISO's up, then you should be able to use it. I wouldn't suggest that you change all of your settings to use it, but rather consider it. Remember it works for you, you don't work for it.

B&W Claims that their CP filter costs you 1.3 stops of light, it is probably more like 1.5 stops If you're struggling to get the proper speed for the shot, then you probably won't need it anyway. If you would normally be wearing Sun Glasses, then you would probably need the CP filter too. If you have a pair of polarized Sun Glasses, then put them on and see if you can see a difference by looking out at the water. You could also look through the filter, before attaching it to the lens. You also probably wont need to decide this from shot to shot, but you may need to use it or take it off as the lighting conditions change or as your location varies.

So.., if you lose 1.3 stops, as you are aware, your options for getting that back if needed would be; wider aperture, slower speed, or increased ISO, or basically change the aperture or speed by 1 stop or more, and the other 1/2 stop you can usually get back in post processing, as Iassume that you are shooting in RAW. Once you take a look at the situation, it will quickly become obvious to you when to put it on the lens and when to take it off. With many lenses you can't turn the CP filter without taking off the hood. If the light is limited and even, I will sometimes leave the hood off for a while, I also think you gain 1/3 stop of light depending on the hood size.

Notice how the waves and ripples in your gold fish shot, tend to catch the light at different angles to the calm water. You could also throw a rock in the water to see this with the filter.

When you turn the CP filter, look at the water and/or blue sky and adjust it accordingly, you don't have to remove all of the glare, because then the picture can become too dull. You should try a few shots with it dialed in, and then not dialed-in properly, and then take it off completely. You don't even have to have a bird in the shot.., just test it and when you get home take a look.

Rich

Rich - Thank you so much for your very informative post! I most definitely could have brought my shutter speed down for my first shot. I was just anticipating flight and was trying to be prepared for that since that is mostly what I

You

I finally found a bird shot from a few years ago...

[IMG][View:http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c114/deltasun/Random/07-07-17_Mesa_Verde_050.jpg][/IMG]

XTi, 100-400mm f/4.0-5.6L @ 400mm, ISO 100, 1/50s, f/5.6, tripod, cropped

Bill W. - I really like both of your pics of backyard vistors! I

Mourning Dove taken in my backyard setup using the EOS 1D MKIII + 300mm 2.8L + 1.4TC

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/2781._5F00_MG_5F00_7664.jpg[/img]