Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: EOS 5D Mark III vs. EOS 1D X - Differences?

Very interesting points that make me even happier that i have the 5DMK3 pre-ordered.

Westfall breaks down the AF system
    CW: The number and distribution of high-precision cross-type AF points has increased on the new 61-point AF system relative to the 45-point AF system used by the EOS-1D Mark IV. Moreover:
    · The overall AF system speed of the EOS-1D X including lens drive is superior to that of the EOS-1D Mark IV on a lens for lens basis. The overall AF detection speed of the EOS 5D Mark III is superior to the AF detection speed of the EOS-1D Mark IV.
    · The level of AF precision for 5 of the central area AF points on the 61-point sensor (i.e., the dual X-shaped cross-type points) is superior to the level of precision for any of the AF points on the 1D Mark IV.
    · 21 cross-type AF points in the central area of the 61-point sensor are functional with maximum apertures as small as f/5.6; None (zero) of the cross-type points on the EOS-1D Mark IV are functional as cross-type sensors at maximum apertures smaller than f/4.
    · The 61-point AF sensor has twice the low light sensitivity as the 1D Mark IV’s 45-point AF sensor (EV -2 vs. EV -1).
    · The 61-point AF system supports AI Servo III, which is superior in subject tracking stability and consistency compared to AI Servo II found on the EOS-1D Mark IV.
    · The 61-point AF system adds a greater degree of user control for subjects with various characteristics of acceleration and deceleration such as birds in flight.
    · The 61-point AF system not only has 16 more AF points than any of the 45-point systems, it is also 20% wider in coverage (19mm vs. 15mm), making it easier for photographers to keep their subjects within the active AF area.

Oohh I can't wait.
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by w349 View Post
    Something that is a minor annoyance but worth putting into the table... no compatibility with the inexpensive infrared remote for the 1D X. Something I use more than occasionally for family shots and also macro work.

It is indeed an annoyance, but not a new one - the 1-series bodies don't have the capability to be triggered by an IR remote.

Actually, it seems the 1D X can be triggered by an IR remote...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1DXhasIRsensor.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	672

That little transparent-looking window is in exactly the same spot as the one on my 7D, which is the IR remote sensor. Plus, according to Imaging Resource: "One prominent addition is the infrared port on the front of the grip, a feature only recently seen moving up the line from the Rebels, and now it's made it to the top. If you wanted infrared on a pro or semi-pro camera, you had to pay for an expensive receiver and remote combo, but now it's built into the EOS-1D X. We have yet to learn whether it requires a special remote."

Color me happy - hopefully it works with the RC-1, saving me $100 on the PW trigger cable or worse, $450 on the LC-5!!
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 03-20-2012 at 12:37 AM.

Given the price difference to the 5D3, and the whole "is it really worth the extra money" debate, I'd say adding that little infrared receiver will save more than one person from 'downgrading' to the 5D3...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Actually, it seems the 1D X can be triggered by an IR remote...

Color me happy - hopefully it works with the RC-1, saving me $100 on the PW trigger cable or worse, $450 on the LC-5!!
    Thanks for the information John, this looks promising. This one small feature was my one regret about going with the 1D X. - Mike

Not to dash my own hopes, but there is only one small transparent 'window' on the front of the 1D X. I'm going to hope that Imaging Resource is correct, and that it is an IR port, but if so it seems it would have to be a combination IR-input light-output port, because there should be a self timer lamp on the front of the camera.

So I guess the jury is still out on this one…

Not to dash my own hopes, but there is only one small transparent 'window' on the front of the 1D X. I'm going to hope that Imaging Resource is correct, and that it is an IR port, but if so it seems it would have to be a combination IR-input light-output port, because there should be a self timer lamp on the front of the camera.

So I guess the jury is still out on this one…
    It looks to me that they just relocated the self timer lamp.

You may find many of the misc features you used with the 7D and 5D II missing on the 1D X, so it is with the 1D IV. For instance the nifty little wheel on top that turns to a little square box for non-thinking pictures. As well you may miss the ability to switch quickly to a preset for a BIF setting. Possibly the marketing thinking with the 1D bodies is that Canon believes those who would buy such a camera would have all the pro gear accessories to go with it and support it. I have the wireless remote to use with the 5D but I always found it to be unreliable, and until I read this I didn't even know it wouldn't work with the 1D IV. But it makes sense that no such option would be included, the 1D IV is built for speed, sports and accuracy and I think the unreliable remote trigger Canon makes really detracts from this.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    It looks to me that they just relocated the self timer lamp.
    Yes, that's my fear. I'm going to hope it's an IR receiver, too, but not counting on it. In addition to the PocketWizard cable solution mentioned early in the thread, there's also an RF remote from hähnel ($70 from B&H) with an N3 connector that works with 1-series bodies.

I have the wireless remote to use with the 5D but I always found it to be unreliable, and until I read this I didn't even know it wouldn't work with the 1D IV. But it makes sense that no such option would be included, the 1D IV is built for speed, sports and accuracy and I think the unreliable remote trigger Canon makes really detracts from this.
    I've found my little RC-1 to be quite reliable - it's never not triggered, and even works holding it with my hand in my pocket so it's completely out of sight. Perhaps Canon just assumes pros should always be behind the camera, not in front of it.

You may find many of the misc features you used with the 7D and 5D II missing on the 1D X, so it is with the 1D IV. For instance the nifty little wheel on top that turns to a little square box for non-thinking pictures. As well you may miss the ability to switch quickly to a preset for a BIF setting.
    The green square mode does come in handy, and I'll miss it...although I never use it myself, it's great when you want someone to take a picture of you (even moreso when there's no IR remote sensor!!) - I have back-button AF set up, but green square mode cancels that out, while still keeping the RAW setting.

As for the ability to quickly switch to a custom preset, that functionality has now made it to the 1-series. Rob Galbraith states, "Custom modes: Up to three custom camera settings configurations can be registered and recalled in the EOS-1D X. This feature has been available in several iterations of other Canons, but makes its way to a 1-series model for the first time in the new camera. The M.Fn button on the top of the EOS-1D X can be configured to provide direct access and selection of the C1, C2 and C2 modes, among several ways to get to and choose them." Chuck Westfall also mentioned them in his interview with Doug Brown, and I recall reading somewhere (on a Canon site) that in addition to the M.Fn button, one of the custom buttons on the front (the DoF Preview pair) can be set to bring up C1/C2/C3.

I think the custom modes will be very handy - I can see setting one for tripod shooting (as I have now), one for indoor people shooting (1/80 s lower limit on shutter speed, maybe f/1.8 lower limit on aperture), etc.
    Last edited by neuroanatomist; 03-20-2012 at 03:19 PM.

I have no idea as to the credibility of the following author, but on the issue of a possible IR port I found this blog post regarding the the 1D X and video:

CANON EOS-1D X HAS MULTIPLE TRIGGER OPTIONS FOR VIDEO

By Dan Chung

"I’ve just had it confirmed by a source at Canon that the EOS-1D X offers a solution to one of the biggest DSLR video headaches – video triggering. Previous Canon DSLR cameras had no wired remote trigger function – relying instead on Infrared triggers, a USB remote follow focus like the Okii, or Heath Robinson style contraptions that put an old school cable release onto the video trigger or Set button. With the EOS-1D X you can now customize the camera to start and stop video from the remote release socket using a regular Canon remote. You can also assign the video trigger to main shutter button or use an infrared remote. It would also appear possible to use wireless remote triggers such as the popular Pocket Wizard to start recording – but this is unconfirmed. Starting and stopping video when using a rig or remote just got a whole lot easier."

Quote Originally Posted by bigblue1ca View Post
    I have no idea as to the credibility of the following author, but on the issue of a possible IR port I found this blog post regarding the the 1D X and video
    I ran across that as well, along with the info at Imaging Resource. Problem is, I think there simply has to be a self timer lamp on the front of the camera. The previous 1-series bodies all have one. There's only one 'window' on the front of the 1D X - so, it's either just a lamp, or a newly-designed lamp + receiver.

I did notice on the Accessories page for the 1D X on the Canon USA site, the only wireless remote listed is the LC-5 (the equivalent page for the 5DIII also lists the RC-6).

As for the ability to quickly switch to a custom preset, that functionality has now made it to the 1-series. Rob Galbraith states, "Custom modes: Up to three custom camera settings configurations can be registered and recalled in the EOS-1D X. This feature has been available in several iterations of other Canons, but makes its way to a 1-series model for the first time in the new camera. The M.Fn button on the top of the EOS-1D X can be configured to provide direct access and selection of the C1, C2 and C2 modes, among several ways to get to and choose them." Chuck Westfall also mentioned them in his interview with Doug Brown, and I recall reading somewhere (on a Canon site) that in addition to the M.Fn button, one of the custom buttons on the front (the DoF Preview pair) can be set to bring up C1/C2/C3.
    It is good they added this. It was a minor annoyance on the 1D IV, one easily overlooked when I found that in AI mode the 1D IV was as accurate as if it were set in one shot mode. It would have been nice if it were easier to change from one shot mode to AI.