Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 135L - I can't get a sharp shot no matter what :(

Re: 135L - I can't get a sharp shot no matter what :(

Fill out the form online providing as much detail as possible and then ship the items, unless there is a Canon depot nearby, you can drive it there. If I
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Well, all the forms are filled out and the 7D, 135L and 35L (thru that one in to for micro-adjusting) are all packaged and ready to be shipped off to the Canon hospital tomorrow! Wish me luck that all turns out well!! I must say the 1st copy of the 135L was ALOT better than the 2nd copy even if it was adjusted at +14! This 2nd copy was horrible and hopefully Canon sends it back tack sharp! Wish me luck!

I

I thought for sure you would have a 5D on the way if your 7D was going to be gone for 2 weeks.

You have been very patient.

Good luck with it all.

Steve
    Steve U
    Wine, Food and Photography Student and Connoisseur

Good luck....Keep us all posted as to how it turns out. If withdrawl gets too bad, maybe you canrent a camera bodyfor a quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72
    If withdrawl gets too bad, maybe you canrent a camera bodyfor a quick fix.

LOL! Don't think I didn't look into that after reading your post! OUCH! Over $200 (includes shipping)for 4 days?!

So, how about this ...in lieu of flowers and get well cards, contributions to my 5D II rental fund greatly appreciated! []

Denise

I

Desise the 135L is among the sharpest lenses canon makes. Ive seen out of calibration copies but never an outright bad copy. Hopefully everythng will come back nicely calibrated for you. One other thing worthy of mention is are these out of the camera jpegs and if so whats the level of sharpening. Its well known that the 7D produces soft images unless the sharpening is cranked up to like 7. Randomly setting the MA and snapping photos will definitely drive you bonkers. You need a bit more control, I just posted in another thread on how to go about doing it, takes like 5 minutes.

http://community.the-digital-picture.com/photography_gear1/f/7/t/5598.aspx

One also has to keep in mind that such a shallow DOF presents it own challanges. And pics of a dog facing you is not going to come out so desirable. if the nose is in focus the eyes wont be and vice versa.

My 135L is Stupid Sharp. click on thumb for 100% image and scroll to the lettering.

Hi Justin, welcome to the forums!! I've read a few of your posts thus far & they've been very imformative and your work is very impressive!

Since getting my 135mm back from Canon after I sent it in w/ my 7d, there has been a tremendous improvement. I tend to shoot more handheld thoughthan using a tripod and I think the weight of the 7d and the 135mm is pushing to the limits of what I can steadily handle ...IS would sure be beneficial for me w/ this lens!

I took the photos below this morning with the 7d and 135mm at somewhat slow shutter speed (1/40 & 1/50), handheld after at least 6 cups of coffee! So granted, they probably would have turned out much better had I used a tripod!

Like I said, a tripod or less coffee would have helped! These were definitely not taken with a steady hand!

Denise

Denise

These look pretty good to me. I downloaded the first one so I could look at it closer. For handheld at 1/50 they look very sharp.

I also like the lighting.

Mark
    Mark

Thats more like it!

Maybe you should dump the coffee and go straight for a double espresso! [:P]

Mastering shallow DOF can be a real challange.

Heres a sample image taken with my 200 F2 right after I got it of fido napping, well he was anyhow. Minimum focusing distance so the DOF is very pronounced.

His bottom eyelid and just below it are so sharp you can count the hairs on the hairs but the top eyelid is not as sharp and it melts off rather quickly.

Shot with a MKIII 1/125 f2 ISO400from about 5 ft with IS on.