Page 81 of 558 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

....still on the fence deciding to purchase either the 300 f4 or 400 f5.6, in the meantime....

Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Joel, how do you know if it's properly exposed for "high key" since it's over exposed in histogram anyways?

Banman 1, those eagles pictures are nice, I like the pose of the eagle, I don't know what lens you used, it seemed that either the lens is not long enough or you couldn't get very close to the eagle cause the pictures looks cropped a lot, they are lack of details and maybe you put the eagle s too centered, just my 2 cents

elmo--2006, your pictures have told me that you should get 400mm 5.6[]

JJphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade

JJphoto'

What I do is to use the central AF point only, in manual mode, place it on the bird and watch the exposure meter in view finder as you adjust the camera to correctly expose the bird ....the exposure meter should read zero after your adjustments. I want to keep my shutter speed up and a good DOF so I tend to adjust ISO to get the right exposure but sometimes I will adjust shutter speed and f stop a little. On a bright sunny day start with ISO 400 f/8 1/2000 and work from there. (reference the Sunny 16 Rule
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Can I ask why you are using manual mode if you're relying on the camera's metering logic to guide your adjustments anyway? Why not aperture priority and adjust ISO as needed? Then switch to spot metering if you want high-key just as you need to with your manual method. Seems simpler, faster and more able to react to changing conditions, but maybe I'm missing something. If it's just the way you prefer to work that's totally fine with me, but if there's some advantage to it then I'd definitely want to start making use of it

**EDIT** It occurred to me that it's probably so that you don't need to hold auto exposure lock for recomposing different shots. It that correct? Too bad spot metering doesn't work on any point

StapledPhoto,

I am used to manual mode and find it easy to make quick adjustments and as you pointed out there is no need to hold auto exposure lock but what I am most interested in is to get the exposure of the subject correct no matter the background and even if the background changes. So once I determine the correct subject exposure it doesn

Joel, I got it , thank you very much!

Salazarbrujo, this is the toughest bird I have ever seen, but I guess it will never perch on those wires[]

congratulations on your 135mm 2.0L, I know it is just a fantastic lens.

A pair of Mourning Doves, my backyard setup

1D MKIII + 300mm 2.8L + 1.4TC + 580exII fill flash with better beamer

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer-Discussions-Components-Files/15/4338.343V9538.jpg[/img]

Very nice shot Joel. Sharp, nice diffuse background and very nice lighting.

I have these birds all over the place in my neighborhood, but never took any interest in shooting them---Maybe I
    Bob

Wow, it looks so nice, like the lighting very much!

"better beamer"? I have to google it.