Page 9 of 558 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109509 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your best bird shots!

Re: Post your best bird shots!

This is my small addition, which doesn't compare to the beauty that i've seen here but it's what i got.

I'll post the exif later cuz i dont have it with me.

I like most of the pictures here...yea they aren't all that pretty or perfectly composed, but hey....everyone started blank(by birth :P) and learned it one way or another...

You can and should be proud on what you can do, not be demotivated on what you can't do [] Keep the spirit alive!

So you might think you're addition isn't compareable to what you've seen so far, but remember that nobody can shoot perfect pictures at the start of it all, and look back after a year to see how you've grown into photograpy.

I'd love to see a topic about that by the way! One year after...try to make the same picture one year later. And see what you would change now and think of the old picture. Good, back on topic! Show us those birdies!!

Ps: funfact: other people ALWAYS make better pictures then you so! Another fact: this counts for EVERYONE []...but back on topic

Today I had a surprise visitor at my feeding station; Northern Flicker....didn't expect them for another month or so. They're a very skittish bird around here....I got lucky.

100-400mm at 400, ISO 500, f7.1, 1/400 w/a 40D cropped and 100%

Nate, read Rockwell's article at your suggestion....the smart sharpening certainly did bring out the feather detail. But I need to start seriously thinking about a big prime....the Mandarin is mouth watering. LOL Seriously, the wing spread capture is fantastic.

JJphoto......grab yourself 2 books, 1 for the field; The Audonon Society Field Guide to North American Birds. It fits in your hip pocket and is very durable....I've had mine for 30 years now....wow, I'm getting old. The second book is for when you're working on your photos at the computer; The Sibley Guide to Birds. I'm assuming you're in N. America.

BTW....the bird in the photo, again assuming you're in N.A., is a Turkey Vulture.

Regards

Bill

Bill, thanks for the suggestion of the book, I guess Amazon will have it to sell. and yes, I live in L.A., I took those eagle, ok I should say I took those Turkey Vulture pictures in Prado Regional Park, located at the joint of 71and 91freeway. those birds are amazing, I guess they think they are the Kings so they don't fly away no matter how close you get to them, I think it's the very good target for the beginner.

thanks again and your picture is really nice (with your 100-400 zoom)!

JJ....check out REI (may not have the Selby), Borders, orBarnes and Noble to see if the books fit your needs.

Thanks for the compliment on the N. Flicker pic.

I've only seen the TVs around here soaring and at too great a distance to capture....nice pic.

Hi all

Some nice images in this thread, keep shooting everyone!

I really appreciate your comments on my madarin shots.

Here is an image of a sparrow

Canon 40D + 500 f/4L IS, f/4, 1/250, ISO 400, manual exposure, handheld

I didn't have time to adjust my setting so this image was actually 1 stop underexposed. I raised the brightness in DPP.

Thanks for viewing and commenting

Nate,

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.35.20/cropped.JPG[/img]

Here is one I caught yesterday having lunch. I don't have much in terms of length for the lens so I had to get as close as I could without spooking him. Used 70-200 f4 with 1.4xtc. Let me know what you think? I tried Nate's sharpening method but don't think it worked right with the amount of crop I had to do.

[img]/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.UserFiles/00.00.00.23.64/20100114_5F00_IMG_5F00_4542-copy-1_5F00_-1-copy_5F005F00_-copy_5F00_tonemapped-copy.jpg[/img]

C&C welcome.

Jason, If I were you, I would be very proud of this shot. Your crop is nice, the background is pleasing, and the bird is gorgeous.Raptors are not easy to capture in the wild. Based on what I can see here, I also think that you sharpened appropiately. The only criticism that I could make is that the birds eyes look a little unantural, if you adjusted or recolored the eyes, then perhaps you could tone them down just a little. If this is the birds natural look, then leave the eyesalone. If your so inclined, put this shot in a dark frame and hang it on a white wall and you will have a very nice addition to your home's decor.

Nice work,

Bob
    Bob

I have a few on my website: www.freshphotohawaii.com

I love the ones where they have fish in their mouths!

- Jordan Murphy

www.freshphotohawaii.com

Equipment: Canon 7D, 50D, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 100-400, Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Kenko extension tube 3pc set, 2 430EXII Speedlites, Manfrotto monopod and tripod with video pan head.