Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad News

Bad News

I just have to except that I cannot take hand held shots anymore. My hands are started to shake, even IS cannot help (shots are still OOF LOL). I take lots of shots of my family and grand kids, in & out door sports, and it's a pain lumping around a Mono pod. Does anyone else have this problem and if so what are your tips that I can use. Wally [B]
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Re: Bad News

I'd suggest researching the best way to hold a camera (and I certainly don't mean that in a sarcastic way). When reading Joe McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries, I found he devoted several pages to the techniques he uses to hold the camera for optimal stability. If it works for the guy who shoots for National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, etc., it might work for you, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

I'd suggest researching the best way to hold a camera (and I certainly don't mean that in a sarcastic way). When reading Joe McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries, I found he devoted several pages to the techniques he uses to hold the camera for optimal stability. If it works for the guy who shoots for National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, etc., it might work for you, too.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Thanks Sean. Will have look at Hot Shoes Dairies and also explore your suggestions . Thanks Mate. Wally
    Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by bouwy
    it's a pain lumping around a Mono pod.

Hi Wally,

On the link below, check out Option #4. Maybe by having the monopod adjusted to this shorter length it won't feel like such a pain. I have not tried it but it does look like something I may eventually give a try.

I hope this helps ...good luck!

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3" title="Proper Monopod Usage"]http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3
    [/URL]
    Denise

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725

Quote Originally Posted by bouwy
    it's a pain lumping around a Mono pod.

Hi Wally,

On the link below, check out Option #4. Maybe by having the monopod adjusted to this shorter length it won't feel like such a pain. I have not tried it but it does look like something I may eventually give a try.

I hope this helps ...good luck!

<a target="_blank" href="http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3" title="Proper Monopod Usage"]http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3
    [/URL]
    Denise

Thanks Denise. I just read your link. Option #4 is a great idea. Will try. Will show you some action shots with option #4 (in focus of course) Wally

Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Nate taught me this technique:

Go into your living room with a telephoto lens, turn IS off, and practice shooting objects at shutter speeds of 1/100 or lower until you have a good technique. So far I've definitely noticed some improvement, I suggest your giving it a try.

KSO*,

brendan

*keep shootin' on [8-|]

Alan

Wally, are you saying that your hands are shaking because of a medical condition, or you're just having trouble steadying the camera/lens because the equipment is a bit heavy and unwieldy?

It can be tough to steady a long zoom lens when the thing is sticking way out into space, and you're trying to hold it still while taking a shot of some distant object/creature.

But, for your family shots, try some of these suggestions: (1) bracing yourself against an immovable object, such as the back of a dining room chair, or against the corner of a wall. Position yourself so you can take the proper shot of the family, of course. (2) pull your equipment very close to your torso, with the back of your lens-holding-arm, to your chest. You can combine this with leaning against the wall, if need be.

An SLR set up is a sizable chunk of glass and metal, so when you're not shooting, yet need to keep the camera nearby, cradle it in your arm, and hold it from dropping with your other hand. That way, you're not doing a lot of lifting or extending of your arms, so that you can maintain your strength sufficiently til you're ready to snap some more photos. Or, an alternative, set the camera down and give yourself a breather. Gripping the camera can often tire your hands very quickly (e.g. , as motorcyclists will tell you as their hands go numb from gripping the throttle).

The key is to minimize your exertion of all these things and steady yourself in clever and numerous ways.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Nate taught me this technique:

Go into your living room with a telephoto lens, turn IS off, and practice shooting objects at shutter speeds of 1/100 or lower until you have a good technique. So far I've definitely noticed some improvement, I suggest your giving it a try.

KSO*,

brendan

*keep shootin' on [img]/emoticons/emotion-15.gif[/img]

Thanks Brendan. for your tip. Yes I have tried many ways. I even have problems with a prime lens e.g. 50mm f1/4. However I will keep on trying. I will find a technique. [I]

Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Quote Originally Posted by Alan

Wally, are you saying that your hands are shaking because of a medical condition, or you're just having trouble steadying the camera/lens because the equipment is a bit heavy and unwieldy?

It can be tough to steady a long zoom lens when the thing is sticking way out into space, and you're trying to hold it still while taking a shot of some distant object/creature.

But, for your family shots, try some of these suggestions: (1) bracing yourself against an immovable object, such as the back of a dining room chair, or against the corner of a wall. Position yourself so you can take the proper shot of the family, of course. (2) pull your equipment very close to your torso, with the back of your lens-holding-arm, to your chest. You can combine this with leaning against the wall, if need be.

An SLR set up is a sizable chunk of glass and metal, so when you're not shooting, yet need to keep the camera nearby, cradle it in your arm, and hold it from dropping with your other hand. That way, you're not doing a lot of lifting or extending of your arms, so that you can maintain your strength sufficiently til you're ready to snap some more photos. Or, an alternative, set the camera down and give yourself a breather. Gripping the camera can often tire your hands very quickly (e.g. , as motorcyclists will tell you as their hands go numb from gripping the throttle).

The key is to minimize your exertion of all these things and steady yourself in clever and numerous ways.

Hi Alan. You &amp; all the guys are very helpful and I very much appreciate your feedback [I]. I do have a medical condition (came up in the last 12 months) that causes my hands to shake a little, just enough to have my shots so slightly OOF. I ride and race motorbikes and I do know what numbness in the hands feel like. I have not tried some of the suggestions, but I will action these ASAP. Been looking at Mono pods &amp; will be getting one very soon. Until then I will be using chairs, walls, tables, tripods, and anything else around. Wally

Wally Bouw Flickr Vimeo

Hey Bouwy,

my grandpa has the same problem for a lot of years now. But mostly at doing motorically difficult tasks. I mean challenged and accurate tasks, such as poring in a drink etc.

You can't really do anything about it, but maybe this helps (that is if you've got the same condition). Instead of making pictures an accurate job you might try to make it more basic. Try to make it easier for yourself by maybe adjusting the camera a little? You've got nothing to loose.

Do you know where your problem is exactly? By pressing the shutter only or by holding the camera itself? You could try 10 or 2sec timer to try that out. In auto-modes it will focus as well.

Also maybe a shoulderholster like a lot of filmers use is an option? Like the:Manfrotto 585 Monosteady

For film it is a great piece of steadyness.

I hope you'll figure something out! Maybe Neuroanatomist can tell you a bit more...if it's his real job he could probably know a few things about it []

Good luck!

Jan