Thread: Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip Review Discussion

Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip Review Discussion

Discuss the Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip Review - tell us what you think about the Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip.

Re: Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip Review Discussion

I've not got the5D MKII - and I'm not likely to get it as I'm happy with the MkI, however, Bryan, could you confirm that the detacted battery cover is stored in the grip, in a similar way to my350D grip?

It might be a useful comment to make?

Mark

Mark - I feel pretty certain it will. My BG-E2 for the 40D does and the photo shows the same recess on the Vertical Stalk. I don't use my BG-E2 often as I shoot mostly from a tripod and don't like it for that purpose. It is very convenient for shooting handheld portrait oriented scenes. Part of my original decision to buy it was to be able to use conventional batteries in a pinch. However I have 2 stock batteries and that's been good enough that I don't use the grip for that either.

I can confirm it. My detached battery cover is sitting in the 5d2 battery grip now.

I've been using the grip for several weeks now and it's been great.

Hey Bryan, when you do these grip reviews, could I suggest including rearside photos of the grip mounted on the camera?

It's no matter to me - I took a lucky guess years ago (i.e., without seeing such a useful shot) and ended up on the grip bandwagon immediately. But I remember (while debating, then waiting on my order) wondering what to expect, and being wonderfully surprised at the ergonomics of keeping the thumb at the same distance from the rear wheel.

Point being, rear photos might help sell some of them to those who don't appreciate their full potential value, as I myself didn't years ago. Showing only the front only shows a very limited part of their story.

One of the very few things I miss from my Minolta was the battery cover magic they designed into their grips. You'd open the battery door, remove the battery, and insert the grip - there was a cavity in the grip where the battery door stayed during grip usage. You'd never have to remove the door, it just went straight into the grip in its "open" position.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I have used the battery grip for all the digital cameras I have. The XT, XTi and 5D. One set of batteries usually last through a wedding & reception with no problem.

In the review you say "With the Canon BG-E6 Battery Grip installed, the 5D Mark II becomes at least as large as Canon's 1-Series bodies"

It would be interesting to know how much the camera weighs with grip and batteries. I'd like to know how the 5D and 5D MkII compare to the 1D series in terms of weight.

Mark
    Mark