Thread: 500D...how much cold/snow can I put it through?

500D...how much cold/snow can I put it through?

I know that the camera isn't a weather-proof one, so I was wondering. This weekend they're announcing cloudy weather with a slight possibility of snowfall and about -15°C in the mornings. Can I subject the camera to that? I was planning on taking two lenses, a 17-55 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/4L IS. I'm pretty sure the 70-200 is made to seal tight, but the 17-55 definitely isn't. How would they react to possible light snowfall and the cold? I'm definitely not planning on using the setup in a snowstorm or burying them in a foot of snow, I was just wondering.

Senior Member nvitalephotography's Avatar
    As long as the snow doesnt melt on the camcera or lens then weather sealing is not an issue. If its going to be that cold you should just be able to clean off any snow that lands on the camera/lens without any worries. The cold however may become an issue, everything should work but cold temperatures kill batteries very fast. Try to keep them warm as much as possible, so put them in your pocket or somewhere warm whenever you are not using them.
    Last edited by nvitalephotography; 02-01-2012 at 04:37 PM.

Hi, I've used 500D in light rain, in light snowfall and in really cold weather, both with sealed lenses and non-sealed ones, and I never had any problems. Of course you should be careful but some snowflakes on the gear shouldn't be a problem. Except from the battery issue already mentioned, you should also resist the temptation of downloading your photos to your comupter once you get back inside. Keep the gear in the closed camera bag for a (long) while until it has adapted to room temperature. Plastic bags etc are not really needed but just let it stay in the bag.

Senior Member francongphotography's Avatar
    I have a 550D but i guess it's similar to the 500D, I've had no problems with light rain/snow during short shoot out in the winter, however..I do have a problem with the buttons (especially the live view button), as some of them are 'frozen'/stuck in the cold weather, but once back in the house, the buttons work fine again.
    Canon 5D Mk II, 550D/T2i, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 100mm f/2.8 L USM, 17-40mm f/4 L USM, 24-105mm f/4 L USM, 70-200mm f/4 L IS USM, 320EX speedlite

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franco_ng/

Bit late reply on my behalf, but for others who are curious on the topic.

I have a t2i (550d) and have not had any problems with the cold.
    I have been taking camera to the park last couple months while walking the dog ( -20c up to 0c) getting some practice with the camera.
    It's usually hanging by my side exposed to the elements for 45min-1.5hrs while walking. my biggest obstacle has been using my mittens while trying to take pictures.
    Yesterday was first time I took camera out in heavy snowfall, as a precaution I covered it with a plastic bag, open end to viewfinder, and hole cut held tight with elastic band around hood base. Kept the snow off, and didn't hinder usability as much as I expected.

Yesterday

EOS REBEL T2i
    ISO 1000
    Exposure 1/250 sec
    Aperture 5.0
    Focal Length 135mm
    Lens 55-250mm f/5.2-29

other cold days

EOS REBEL T2i
    ISO 100
    Exposure 1/1000 sec
    Aperture 4.0