Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1DX Mark III

Quote Originally Posted by conropl View Post
    Thanks.
    Work got in the way of life. For about 6 years I would head to the airport on Monday morning and get home Friday - every week. So I had the weekend to get things done around the house and spend time with my wife. I really did not have time to pick up a camera.

I got sick of that and retired. So I hope to get back to some photography. We'll see how that goes.
    Congrats on all the positive changes in life! And welcome back --- you've been missed!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    Laguna Seca Ranch is on my list with or without a 1DX III
    Road trip!!!

I'll be in Texas in May...I wonder if that is a good time at Laguna???

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    That would be a fantastically fun day. But I would barely be able to lift the camera afterwards --- it would be so heavily loaded with images
    Haha....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    Congrats on all the positive changes in life! And welcome back --- you've been missed!

+1 Great to see you back around Pat! And, I travel enough, I couldn't imagine every week, and congrats on the retirement!

I suspect May would be a bit late to catch the main migration of birds through the area but I bet they feed all year so the local species would be available. What dates are you considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I suspect May would be a bit late to catch the main migration of birds through the area but I bet they feed all year so the local species would be available. What dates are you considering?
    I will be in Austin the week of May 11. So, it would be a weekend on either side is what I would be thinking. But, we could also wait to target a migration.

BTW...from a Canon EOL (Wedding Photographer)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRVGwdC8A3E
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-23-2020 at 12:31 PM.

More testing this weekend! I volunteered as a photographer for a local fat bike race, and got to try the face-recognition focusing once again. It was a little bit slower at aquiring the subjects than when I was photographing the skiers, but perhaps that's because the algorithm got momentarily confused by the helmets. Nevertheless it still did quite a stellar job at tracking, and I even got brave enough to switch to f/2.8 for a number of shots with the 70-200 lens (something I would never do before with bike photos because the hit rate would drop precipitously). I haven't even done AFMA yet on the camera, so nailing this many tack-sharp images really surprised me. The first 3 shots below are at f/2.8, and the last one is at f/4.0.

Last edited by Jonathan Huyer; 02-24-2020 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I will be in Austin the week of May 11. So, it would be a weekend on either side is what I would be thinking. But, we could also wait to target a migration.

BTW...from a Canon EOL (Wedding Photographer)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRVGwdC8A3E
    Interesting video ..... I'm definitely holding off on a decision to buy Sony.

So now that I’ve been raving about how good the Mark III is, I’m going to put my Mark II on the market and attempt to point out that it’s a great camera too. There are 126,000 clicks on the odometer, and I have four 128 GB and one 64 GB CFast cards to go with it. Canadian buyers are easiest but I’m sure there’s a way to send it across borders too. Contact me at jhuyer@gmail.com

I went out looking for Great Grey Owls today, and found one after a few hours of searching. This sequence is right out of camera, not edited or cropped, and covers a span of less than 2 seconds. The focus tracking is not too bad, I have to say!

...ummm...wow.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    ...ummm...wow.....
    +1