Thread: Slow Sync Flash

Slow Sync Flash

Maybe this post is better suited to a forum like Speedliting, but I might as well ask anyways. Does anybody know how to enable slow-sync flash on the 430ex ii? Also, how can I turn on 1st and 2nd curtain sync?

Bogdan

Re: Slow Sync Flash

When you wanna go on2nd curtain sync......thirdbuttonuntil you seeharrow!

For2nd curtain sync .....third button until you see a "H" !

When you see nothing on the screen in that matter...you are on "slow speed sync and1st curtain sync !

Hope that help !

I think "slow-sync" often refers to shooting in Av or Tv so you can capture the ambient background light. This often results in a long or "slow" shutter speed, but the flash is still synced to the exposure.

Typically, the camera opens the shutter, fires the flash, leaves the shutter open until the designated time, then closes the shutter. That's "first curtain" sync - it's the default. Second-curtain sync involves opening the shutter, waiting until the exposure is almost finished, firing the flash, and then closing the shutter.

As mentioned, there's a button that rotates between three settings: first-curtain sync (no special icon), high-speed sync (icon has an H), and second-curtain sync (icon has three arrows, the "last" one is filled in). High-speed sync is for exposures with a shutter speed faster than the camera's sync speed, typically in sunlight.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by BogdanD
    Does anybody know how to enable slow-sync flash on the 430ex ii?

Assuming you mean 'slow sync' as Pete described ("...so you can capture the ambient background light. This often results in a long or "slow" shutter speed, but the flash is still synced to the exposure.") - that's a function of camera settings and not the flash.

You have an XSi, right? If you're in an 'automatic' mode (green square or the basic scene modes on the dial), you can't control that. You need to be in Av, Tv, or M mode. For example, if you set a 1/15 shutter speed in Tv mode, with the flash attached, you'll capture more ambient light and the flash will still fire (and with E-TTL metering, it will expose properly). If you're in Av/Tv/M and the shutter speed is 'stuck' at 1/200 s with the flash on, you need to change custom function C.Fn-2 back to Auto (0 - the default setting).

Thanks everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for.