Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: refurbished by canon?

refurbished by canon?

has anyone purchase anything refurbished? how is the condition? is it like new? i'm looking at a refurbished camera and was wondering if it's heavily used, the seller claims that they received the merchandise from canon and does not know how many picture it has taken, is that true?

Re: refurbished by canon?

I've bought several refurbished by canon items from Adorama. I've been lucky. All that I bought worked like a charm with no issues. The coverage is only three months I believe rather than a year warranty.

I bought a refurbished 5D, a Canon 28-300mm L zoom, 24-70mm f/2.8 and a 30D. All worked perfectly for the 1-2 years I've had them.

Michael James

That's a lot of great gear! I often check Adorama for refurbished Canonlenses but I never see any. Theydo currently offer the Canon 5D though. Anyway, did you just keep checking the site constantly? Did you just get lucky?? Is there a way to set up alerts that email you when new items become available??? I've read a lot of good feedback on these forums about people purchasing refurbished gear from Adorama and I'd love to save some money on L glass purchases!

I recently got a 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM refurbished, from Adorama.

I like it. It seems like new, so far as I can tell.

I wish it had the same optical performance at 400 mm as my prime, but... I got it for the IS and zoom capability, which it delivers, and the optical quality is still pretty good []

I've bought a few things from Adorama as refurbished and except for not receiving a box, they were all as new, but for a very good price discount. I check the listing every once in a while, and usually wait for things to show up there before I buy. Well except for the brand new stuff anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark 50D

Anyway, did you just keep checking the site constantly?

Yup. When I needed gear I checked daily. They add stuff from time to time, but you never know what or when. Just surf there daily if you happen to need stuff at a lower price. They come in different packaging... just FYI. It doesn't show up in full retail packaging (my experience). But all works perfectly.

Michael James

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]Dear Michael

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]All Refurbished products come with a 90 day return-to-Adorama warranty; 14 days from date of receipt for a full refund, and the balance for Repair or Replacement. <o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]The benefits of arefurb item as you probably know, are that it will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians. So, (as you are discovering), it could actually turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by random sampling as they come off the conveyor belt.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]As you quite rightly highlight, the potential downside is that base warranty on refurbished is only 3 months versus 1 year on new. Some customers choose to purchase a MACK warranty at the same time, which brings the warranty to 3 years, so you actually have a longer warranty than with a new one.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana;"]

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]If you ever have any kind ofquery or concern regarding an order from Adorama Camera - or AdoramaPix - please don't hesitate to contact me directly.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Sincerely<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador<o></o>

<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<u1ersonname u2:st="on"][email="helen.oster@adoramacamera.com]helen.oster@adoramacamera.com[/email]</u1ersonname></st1ersonname>

<st1ersonname w:st="on"]<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<u1ersonname u2:st="on"]</u1ersonname><span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"][url="http://www.adoramacamera.com]www.adoramacamera.com[/url]</st1ersonname>

<span style="font-size: 9pt; color: black; font-family: Verdana; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial;"]<o></o>
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    Helen@adorama.com

Thanks for the full clarification. I was aware, but others might not be. I've purchased a good amount of gear through links from this site to Adorama. Many have been refurbs, but not all. I bought the MACK warranty for the last refurbished item I bought (24-70mm f/2.8 L). Hopefully I won't need it

Michael James

I purchased a 40d body and the file numbering started at about 3500 clicks. That's used in my opinion, rather than refurb. Works fine though the box has a big 'refurbished' label on it. At least I got a box. This will cost me soon when I sell it.

FWIW, I wouldn't do it again. gt

I've bought so many Canon Refiurbished items I've lost count. I've also sent a half-dozen friends to the Adorama site for refurbished deals. I've had no issues. Everything has worked fine and been basically like new.