Thread: Camera or SD Card

Camera or SD Card

Hi have a Canon 60D with a Sandisk 32gb 45MBPS SD card.

If i change my saving option to Raw + Jpeg and shoot at High speed continuous shot (5 fps) it starts to lag after 4 shots.

but if i change to jpeg only and and shoot at High speed continuous shot (5 fps) it works fine.

is it an issue for anyone else or there is a possibility the SD card is a fake.

Thanks

There's a lot of variables affecting how many of what type of image you can write to what card before it slows down.

So, very simplistically, if you're shooting raw+jpg, every shot you're writing (up to) 25+10MB per shot to the card, so in 4 shots that's 140MB. If you're shooting jpg-only, you're only writing (up to) 10MB per shot to the card, so you can get 14 shots in the same space on the camera (in the buffer, where it stores the images before it writes to the card).
    Card speed etc will affect this number of course, but that sounds about normal to me.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    There's a lot of variables affecting how many of what type of image you can write to what card before it slows down.

So, very simplistically, if you're shooting raw+jpg, every shot you're writing (up to) 25+10MB per shot to the card, so in 4 shots that's 140MB. If you're shooting jpg-only, you're only writing (up to) 10MB per shot to the card, so you can get 14 shots in the same space on the camera (in the buffer, where it stores the images before it writes to the card).
    Card speed etc will affect this number of course, but that sounds about normal to me.
    Think the Dr covered it.
    I have a t2i so a step down but ran into similar issue today while trying to capture bees. I could only get 3 shots using Raw+Large
    I had easily initially convinced myself I need a faster camera. But looking in my manual it says Raw for the t2i is 24.5MB, Large file is 6.4MB. max burst 3 shots for Raw+L , max 6 burst shots for Raw only, and 34 burst shots for Large only.

I suspect your 60D will say something similar

Quote Originally Posted by Kombi View Post
    I suspect your 60D will say something similar
    I checked canon.com.au, and wikipedia, neither gave info on max buffer size / burst depth. Who around here's got a 60D (with manual) to help check?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.
    Gear Photos

As is very common, I first shot jpg, then jpg + RAW and now only shoot RAW. A quick recommendation would be to only shoot RAW and convert to jpeg in post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    As is very common, I first shot jpg, then jpg + RAW and now only shoot RAW. A quick recommendation would be to only shoot RAW and convert to jpeg in post.
    Ditto
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Same here. I agree - just shoot RAW only, you'll get there anyway, why not in just one step?

From Canon USA 60D specs page:

Maximum Burst
    JPEG (Large/Fine): approx. 58

RAW: approx. 16

RAW+JPEG (Large/Fine): approx. 7

1. The number of possible shots and maximum burst apply to a 4GB SD card based on Canon's testing standards.

2. The image file size, number of possible shots, and maximum burst will vary depending on the shooting conditions (aspect ratio 3:2, subject, memory card brand, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.).