Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    This is a great photo-only review of the R6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6E6aGswzcE
    Of note, BIFs work great, especially with a f/4 or better lens.
    The biggest new finding is that the frame rate is reduced to 9 fps when the battery charge drops below 60%, and 7 fps at some point below that. This reduction happens with the R5 as well. For someone like me who is a big blaster, this is a bit of a deal breaker. I love my fast frame rates and I will lean hard on the shutter button to get as many shots as possible when there's action. I suppose a battery grip would help lengthen the time you can get the peak 12 fps. But now that I've had the taste of 16 fps from my 1DX3, even 12 fps is a bit pedestrian (spoiled, I am).
    Hmmm...from the manual:
    Name:  R5 shutter speed.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  188.5 KB

coupled with:
    Name:  r5 battery life.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  64.5 KB

I am not sure why "smooth" is giving more shots than "Power saving"....but if FPS drops below 60%, you are 150-200 shots in if using one battery and then you go from 12 to 9.2 fps. I get for some, that is likely a problem. For me, I am wondering about when you drop to 7 fps, because that is what I have now, and I'd like more from my next camera. But, certainly, you can see the issue for photographers that need the high fps. It is no 16 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I am not sure why "smooth" is giving more shots than "Power saving"....but if FPS drops below 60%, you are 150-200 shots in if using one battery and then you go from 12 to 9.2 fps. I get for some, that is likely a problem. For me, I am wondering about when you drop to 7 fps, because that is what I have now, and I'd like more from my next camera. But, certainly, you can see the issue for photographers that need the high fps. It is no 16 fps.
    Okay that's very interesting stuff! I'm thinking that the battery life info must be a typo --- the columns are probably reversed. Frame rate will slow down in my 1DX3 for all the factors listed above, with the big exception of battery level. And I do love my fast frame rate. There have been so many occasions where I've fired a burst with wildlife, and 1 shot in a sequence will be a great trophy while the immediately adjacent ones are merely okay. Things happen quickly and it's really nice having something that can keep up. Ditto with BIFs, because with wing movement there are good poses and there are great poses.
    Last edited by Jonathan Huyer; 08-12-2020 at 12:46 AM.