Thread: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens Review

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens Review

Discuss the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens Review - tell us what you think of the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens.

Re: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens Review

I like the penultimate sentence: "If you don't need sharp corners (except at f/11) and you don't need every shot focused perfectly, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Lens is a great lens for the price." Sharp corners can often be tolerated, but I don't know many people who like OOF shots...

Is it wrong of me to disagree with the conclusion that "This is a good upgrade-to-the-kit-lens option" ?

The older non-IS kit lenses were apparently trash, but my 18-55mm IS kit lens still serves me well (such as the recent Bella missing two teeth shot in the Best Portrait Shot thread). The aperture isn't the best, but it focuses well enough (though not fast, like, say, my 85mm f/1.8), it has IS (and automatic panning IS), it's sharper than my 24-105mm L.

The Sigma has a wider aperture, sure. But, the sharpness is worse, the focus is worse,it's got worse MFD,the IS is worse, lacking the panning detection, and you lose 5mm on the long end.

With all those negatives, and the only positive being rendered useless due to sharpness issues, I don't see how this is an upgrade from the kit lens.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Nuero - I concur. Extra shots for insurance have been my method for using the lens. Glad we are not using film any longer. []

David - Nope - you are welcome to disagree. Hopefully I provided enough information for you to make your own decision. [] The kit lens is a great value, but I do think the Sigma 17-50 is better than the kit lens in many regards - including the fixed f/2.8 aperture and very usable MF ring.

Best regards,

Bryan

Bryan,

I have never been very keen on the technical side of things, i.e. lens coatings, how and why the different glass elements work together, etc. So for me, as with all of your reviews I have read, this one puts things into perspective very nicely. Easy to read and understand. Very well done. Definitely keeping the 17-55 in my bag. [] heh.
    Adobe, give us courage to edit what photos must be altered, serenity to delete what cannot be helped, and the insight to know the one from the other.
    Canon EOS 7D - Canon EF-s 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM - Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro - PCB Einsteins & PW Triggers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco
    So for me, as with all of your reviews I have read, this one puts things into perspective very nicely. Easy to read and understand. Very well done.

I agree, the reviews are very good. I just bought three more lenses this week (135mm f/2 L, 17-40 f/4 L, and Sigma 50mm f/1.4), but only after reading (and re-reading) the reviews here.