Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting with multiple bodies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Shooting with multiple bodies

How many of you shoot with multiple bodies? I don't like lens swapping in the field, so I keep my old original Rebel with the 24-104mm, and a 5DmII with the 16-35mm. Also my wife and kid have a camera when they're out with me.

Instead of getting a P&S handycam, I'm kicking around getting a newer Rebel body to go with a new telephoto (haven't decided which tele yet). Another options is just getting a new body in a few years and keeping the old. OTOH, this Rebel is pretty aged (six years old), so it wouldn't hurt to upgrade my 1.6 body.

Alan

Re: Shooting with multiple bodies

For me, always. A 40D with a long lens (usually, the 100-400 L) and the 24-105 L on the 5D Mk 2. Lots to carry, even with this, since I'm often times hauling a tripod, too.

I'll hand off the tripod to the wife, to help carry stuff.

With these two bodies/lens combos, I can cover everything from 24 - 640 mm.

alan what about the 105-160mm range :P

I used to have the same 40d + 5d II combo but found that it was too much to carry around and thus I would never use the 40d so I sold it.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by crosbyharbison

alan what about the 105-160mm range :P

I used to have the same 40d + 5d II combo but found that it was too much to carry around and thus I would never use the 40d so I sold it.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

Yep. You caught me.

I'll let you in on a little secret. I'll probably switch the lenses around, occasionally.

I like shooting with one body because it's less to carry, but for any serious work, or if I'm adventuring somewhere with landscapes AND critters... I tend to bring my second one along. For professional shoots (parties, events, weddings etc..) I ALWAYS use two bodies. Day-to-day I keep my 7D in my bag and that's it (rather have more lenses in there than a second body) but bring my 50D along with me when I think it's appropriate.

I do, I do! We have three bodies at home: 1D3, 40D, Rebel XTi. The 40D is "hers", but I grab that long before the XTi unless she's shooting her 40D at the same time. We "made do" with the 40D and XTi in June when the 1D3 was in the shop - 16-35/2.8 and (borrowed) 85/1.2 made life pretty good.

I will say that there's a lot to be said for twin bodies - I would highly recommend you consider synchronizing on one body type. The control layout can be key when you're shooting back and forth. When we rented last April, she had the 40D, rented 50D, and XTi as spare (which NEVER got used). I had 5D and 1D3, and the control differences were deadly. The crop differences threw me as well, as I'd end up doing double lens changes all the time and my shot timing wasn't so great. For the next event in May, I rented a 1D3 instead, and life was so much better. I'm now contemplating a 1D4, though a bit of me thinks a 1Ds3 might be good.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

"I would highly recommend you consider synchronizing on one body type"

Actually I like having different interfaces with different cameras. Keeps me on my toes, and it's relaxing to go back to the minimal interface on the original Rebel, versus the full featured 5DmII. Breaks the pace and helps me think differently.

I almost always shoot with multiple bodies. During the day, I'll just carry the one camera in case something catches my eye, but when I go out for a more serious photo expedition, I'll carry a minimum of two bodies, my 5D II and 7D, but usually supplemented with my 40D and my damaged but usable 30D and even my two Rebel XTs at times.

I don't like changing lenses in the field (although I do it) simply because I can lose a particular scene in the time it takes. Plus it helps keep out the dust.

Event shoots I use 5DmkII with 24-70 and a 40D with 70-200 2.8 IS. I don't get concerned about the 70 to 112 gap. I leg zoom it.

For events like weddings I use two bodies, 30d and 5d. Usually a prime and a zoom, the particulars depending on the shooting situation.