Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast computer

Fast computer

Happy Thanksgiving all,

I'm looking to build a fast Intel/Microsoft computer top operate Photoshop. Would I get a better performance from a server motherboard with 2 Xeon processors or a desktop motherboard with 1 i7 processor? Yes, I will load up on RAM and Raid SSD hard drives.

Tom

Re: Fast computer

...and happy thanksgiving to you too...

LOL, you may want to take these questions to a hardware/software forum such as:

www.tomshardware.com

It's akin to asking questions relating to camera's in a mechanical forum....[H]

I would prefer the i5/i7 or i9 (soon to be released)...

Happy hunting....
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

I haven't been keeping up with hardware stuff but either of those would be pretty dang fast and run photoshop very well

you have to determine what your willing to spend and how much use your going to get out of the thing i mean the price of a server mb and 2 xeons is not exactly cheap
    7d w/ BG-E7, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS II

I7 maybe even I5... Photoshop is depending more and more on graphic card acceleration lately. So I doubt if a server board will be that good in the future.

I got an I7-920 myself with a few raid disks and an 1GB ATI radeon 4890 graphics card and really.. it rocks.

An ssd might make the startup a little faster, but I think a nice raid setup will be as good as you need, plus the extra storage size. Harddisks are simply very cheap cmpared to ssd's and you can use a little disk space during photoshopping

I recommend samsung spinpoints f3 series for that.... you will figure it out I guess

good luck

I was hoping that photo professionals that read Bryans web site would know the answer from hands on usage of Photoshop. I run it now on a quick 64-bit computer and can't stand how slow PS is. Not only is time = money, but it test my patience too. or is it

I think you will better off with the I7. Also get a good video card such as the nVIDIA 260. I built two computers. Get two hard drives of the same compacity so you can back up everything.

John.

Photoshop is murder on the RAM and Bus system, not so much the processor. I think PCs suffer from Windows inability to "actually" address more than 2.5 gigs of RAM even in 64 bit systems. I don't think Windows 7 has really addressed this issue yet since it is still Vista with a cleaned up interface.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

Photoshop is murder on the RAM and Bus system, not so much the processor. I think PCs suffer from Windows inability to "actually" address more than 2.5 gigs of RAM even in 64 bit systems. I don't think Windows 7 has really addressed this issue yet since it is still Vista with a cleaned up interface.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

If you're running a 64bit OS then you can address much more than 2.5 gigs....In 64 bit Vista Ultimate, Enterprise, &amp; Business editions you can address a maximum of 128 GBs of RAM (in Home Premium it's a measly 16 GBs). If you're running a 32bit OS, you can install up to 4 GBs, but the OS will only utilize up to 3.2 GBs.

I recently upgraded my 3.2GHz single-core processor to a 2.66GHz quad-core one. I also wiped the slate clean and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It's not too shabby...I'm glad I did it. Next upgrade? Dual monitors.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B

If you're running a 64bit OS then you can address much more than 2.5 gigs....In 64 bit Vista Ultimate, Enterprise, &amp; Business editions you can address a maximum of 128 GBs of RAM (in Home Premium it's a measly 16 GBs). If you're running a 32bit OS, you can install up to 4 GBs, but the OS will only utilize up to 3.2 GBs.

I recently upgraded my 3.2GHz single-core processor to a 2.66GHz quad-core one. I also wiped the slate clean and installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It's not too shabby...I'm glad I did it. Next upgrade? Dual monitors.... ;-)

It was referring to 32 bit Windows Home. Sorry.

But it does say 2.3 gigs due to MMIO issues on systems with hi powered graphics cards.

<div>

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/03/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bits_santa_rosa_a nd_the_great_pc_swindle.html
    </div>

Apparently, they actually raised the bar in Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate 64bit editions--they now support up to 192 GBs.