Thread: I love CyberSyncs!

I love CyberSyncs!

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]Just received my Paul C. Buff CyberSyncs in the mail yesterday and I'm already thrilled!<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]I first dipped my toe into the strobist pool by purchasing a set of YONGNUO CTR-301Ps. For about $80 it was a pretty small entrance fee. I was generally pleased with them but their build quality was lacking, the CR2 batteries aren't always available locallyplus tend to be expensive, and they suffered from the occasional miss-fire. Those things aside, their biggest flaw was their inability to sync at my camera's max sync speed. That means on my 5DII the fastest usable shutter speed I could use was 1/160th.<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]In come the CyberSyncs. I took several test pops last night and not only did I have 100% reliability shooting my max sync speed of 1/200th but even at 1/250th there was just the slightest banding at the bottom of the frame with a feathered edge. At 1/320th there was a distinct line at the bottom of the frame with a hard edge.<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Verdana','sans-serif';"]<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: #000000; font-family: 'Arial','sans-serif';"]Now for the exciting part, I plan on purchasing a set of Paul C. Buff Einsteins in the futureso along with a CST and CSRB+s I picked up a Cyber Commander. This is a very cool tool to say the least! Once Ihave the Einsteins I'll be able to (among a myriad of other things) change the power setting of up to 16 different lights. The other very cool feature (as well as a terribly compelling reason to purchase) is the built in light meter. Even though I cannot use the Cyber Commander to change the power settings on my Speedlites I can use it to meter them which is pretty darn sweet. Anyway, I have a few portrait sessions lined up in the up and coming weeks so once I really put them through the paces I'll come back with a more thorough appraisal.

Re: I love CyberSyncs!

If you're going to buy the Einsteins, do it now.

April 3onthe strobist blog:

"With the new cancer-curing Einstein monoblocs now confirmed to be shipping next week, Paul Buff has addressed a growing question: Why in the world would anyone want to buy regular old White Lightnings now?

They wouldn't, is the obvious answer. So Buff is dropping prices on White Lightning flashes -- and raising prices on the Einstein.

The price increases aren't in place yet, but they are coming. So if you'd rather pay $439.95 than $499.95 for an Einstein, you'd better get crackin'.

And if you are gonna sell your White Lightnings to fund Einstein purchases, I'd get on that, too -- before eBay finds out about the price drop. (No word on exactly how much the WL prices will be dropping.)

New Einstein pricing will not affect current Einstein pre-orders, which are estimated to be at approximately 4 gazillion. And Paul said he'd also give a 30-day notice before implementing the new, market-balancing prices."

Thanks for the heads up Sean. I also read about the eminent price-hike on www.strobist.com but I missed the part about the 30 day notice. Here's my problem, I don't have the money right now :-(

Beg, borrow, or steal--heck, sell a kidney... (you've got two for a reason!)

Congrats on the Cyber Commander, by the way. If I'm not mistaken, though, you can use the Cyber Commander and CSRB+s to remotely control just about any Paul C. Buff monolight (Einsteins, Alien Bees, White Lightnings). Why not pick up some cheaper PCB monolights while everyone's trying to get rid of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters
    If I'm not mistaken, though, you can use the Cyber Commander and CSRB+s to remotely control just about any Paul C. Buff monolight (Einsteins, Alien Bees, White Lightnings). Why not pick up some cheaper PCB monolights while everyone's trying to get rid of them?
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>

You are not mistaken. When I read about the Einsteins I was blown away and at their current price they are only marginally more expensive than the AB1600 and the same price as the X1600. I guess if they do go up in price significantly I'll certainly consider one of Paul C. Buff's other offerings.

You have to admit that "Absolute Color Consistency plus or minus 50K at any power" is pretty impressive compared to the 200K+ fluctuations of the Alien Bees.

By the way--when I said, "Why not pick up some cheaper PCB monolights while everyone's trying to
    get rid of them?," I meant used. You can certainly find some deals right now. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Elberson
    You have to admit that "Absolute Color Consistency plus or minus 50K at any power" is pretty impressive compared to the 200K+ fluctuations of the Alien Bees.

I must admit, the color accuracy does make the Einsteins alluring....good thing I'm colorblind and the Kelvin shifts of the White Lightning I have doesn't trouble me. :-)