Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glacier National Park here we come

Glacier National Park here we come

My daughter selected Glacier for this years Dad/Daughter photo trip. Late June spanning into early July.

Any thing I need to make sure I do/don't (other than bears - learned a lot about bears last year in the Tetons )

Thanks for the hints and suggestions in advance.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Well, you definitely need to travel on the Going to the Sun road. It's a two lane road, and can give some people the heebie jeebies, so keep that in mind. Depending on the weather, you may run into fog near the top. If there is heavy rain, sometimes the road can be out of commission for several hours. If you're scheduled to be somewhere at a certain time, this can put a damper on things.

As long as you're in the area, you should consider the Bear Tooth Pass. It's close enough to Glacier. It's a beautiful drive. Very scenic, and lots of photo ops. Many switchbacks.

It's likely to have snow pack on it, but the roads should be clear. Mountain goats, galore. At the bottom of the pass, is Red Lodge, Montana. Touristy, but good eating and lots of fun.

Mountain goats are on my bucket list, was looking for them in Yellowstone and Tetons w/ no luck. Any precise suggestions would be very helpful.

Mike...its been years since I have driven through Glacier. Too long for specific recommendations. But, likely being Captain Obvious for a second, what I do recall is be prepared to hike. The going to the sun road is great. There are a couple of other roads, lakes and vantage points, etc. But what I've read over the years is people really "seeing" Glacier by doing a whole lot of hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    Mountain goats are on my bucket list, was looking for them in Yellowstone and Tetons w/ no luck. Any precise suggestions would be very helpful.
    It's been a couple of years for me since I've been up and over the Bear Tooth Pass. However, I remember that those goats were near the top of the pass. Near that area, is a ski slope. It's got lots of off road parking, and the reason being: goats!

When I put Bear Tooth into Google earth I get N.E. Yellowstone - same spot as you are thinking, just double checking

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    Mike...its been years since I have driven through Glacier. Too long for specific recommendations. But, likely being Captain Obvious for a second, what I do recall is be prepared to hike. The going to the sun road is great. There are a couple of other roads, lakes and vantage points, etc. But what I've read over the years is people really "seeing" Glacier by doing a whole lot of hikes.
    When I went to zion, a local photo guy (Seth Hamel) did a guide thing w/ me for the narrows - getting time of day right etc. He asked if I was in shape for the hike. I said "sure Pear is a shape"

I might not quite be a pear, but living at sea level and hiking at 7,000 - 10,000 feet are two widely different things.

When we did Tetons and surrounds, we found several logging/ranger roads that the front wheel drive buick was able to navigate. hoping to do more of the same.

Mike....great photo ops, you and your daughter will truly enjoy yourselves.
    It's been quite some time since our visit but here are some suggestions; as Brant stated be prepared to hike....bring good, broken in hiking shoes/boots....hiking gets rid of the crowds. The hikes will definitely give you photo ops of the goats; e.g. on one our hikes, my wife and I hiked (a pull out area near the top of GTTS road) to a beautiful lake in a cirque. Mt goats started following us, a little unsettling for they are a lot bigger than you imagine. They never came closer than about 20 feet, but they were quite curious about us. If you become too nervous, just remember, they like salt...relieve yourself along the side of the trail, this will get their attention.
    As Shutterdown recommends; definitely do Red Lodge....had some of the best chili there and don't pass on the Fishhead micro brewery, if it's still operating.
    Positively do the Bear Tooth Pass, one of our country's best scenic drives.
    Visit St Mary's lake....there's a pull out for an iconic view of Goose Island....great photo op that's been shot millions of times.
    It's a can't miss photo op area....my wife and I enjoyed this area more than the Tetons and Yellowstone.
    Good luck, hope it isn't too crowded and the weather holds for ya's.
    Bill

great suggestions and recommendations.

time to start walking w/ my gear, or at least a loaded back pack in the mornings/evenings. try to get some aerobic capacity

we had a great time w/ the Tetons.

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    When I put Bear Tooth into Google earth I get N.E. Yellowstone - same spot as you are thinking, just double checking
    Yep, it's pretty close to the Cooke City entrance. Bear Tooth Pass is north of Cody, WY, and just south of Cooke City. If you are traveling up from FL, go through Cody, then up 120 til you hit the junction of 296. This is the Chief Joseph scenic highway (also very beautiful). When you get to the junction of 296 and 212, traveling north, you hang a right onto 212. This is the start of the Bear Tooth Pass on the WY side. It goes way up, then comes back down, and heads right into Red Lodge.

Then, return on 212, and head up to Glacier.

You're gonna love it.