Thread: Photographing a Board Meeting - Tips?

Photographing a Board Meeting - Tips?

Hey everyone!

I'll be photographing a board meeting for a local newspaper later on tonight. I have though out my plan fairly well so far. I'll be using two camera bodies - a 40D and Xti - And be using a 55-250 IS (Common' 70-200 2.8 L IS!) and my Tokina 12-24 f/4. I have been to the location before and light is not very bad, so f/4 should be okay.

Is flash a no-no? I feel it could be distracting.

Any other final tips regarding shooting position, gear, technique would be really appreciated.

Thanks

- Alex

Re: Photographing a Board Meeting - Tips?

I have no experience in that kind of photography, but I will say I was onceat a meeting which was being photographed by several photographers. One made liberal use of his flash, and it was quite distracting. The others just blended in with the crowd. Hope this helps.

I would go with out the flash.

Get some broad shots, and get some shots of people looking bored, or really into it, get some shots using depth of field, with all the people in a row. Variety. Don't use the flash, except maybe once or twice during a break (if they have one) If you have a fast prime, bring that! Get to the meeting early and make sure all the lights are on, and if it's light outside, open the blinds ever so slightly, but no so that the light will blind people facing the windows. Aim the blinds towards the ceiling for example... Small things like that add up!

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]If you have a grey card or another white balance device, ensure to use a custom white balance.<o></o>

<span style="font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: Arial;"]Mark
    Mark

Thanks for all of the help, everybody!

I should have rephrased it - It was an organization's annual meeting. And Samoksner, the people looked equally as bored as they would look at a board meeting (Joking)[]

The shoot went very well. It was my first time covering this sort of thing, so there is a lot of learning to do. Either way, I had fun, and I'll make the editors happy[].

Contrary to what I was expecting, lighting was especially bad - They had many lights dimmed. Samoksner, I should have turned them up a little bit! Lesson learned. I was shooting my "desperation combination". That's right - 55-250 at f/5.6, 1/40-1/60, ISO 3200. I should have given more use to the 50 1.8.

I used flash for a few shots, and although my Dad and some others I asked didn't find it distracting, I would have felt better off with a faster lens sans flash.

So, I have learned! The shoot went well, and the shots look great so far. I have many things to keep in mind next time I shoot these sorts of things.

I'll try and get some pictures up soon. Again, thanks everyone for the advice - You helped me out tremendously!

- Alex