Thread: Renting a 70-200 so I can second shoot a wedding?

Renting a 70-200 so I can second shoot a wedding?

Hey all,

I got offered a gig to second shoot a wedding on the 9th and I am wondering if I should rent a 70-200. I currently have a 5dII and 24-70L, as well as an 80-200 4.5-5.6 and a 50 1.8. I don

Re: Renting a 70-200 so I can second shoot a wedding?

Hi reality..

I would also be interested to know if this will be a day or night wedding, or indoor or outdoor wedding? Will there be a church ceremony where flash is not allowed?

$120 sounds like a high price for 4 days, especially since your're not, "directly making any money off this gig." I would say that the 70-200mm is a good range for a second shooter when your outside, but inside the 200mm is a bit long so you'll probably be living in the 70-135 range inside, because if you stand that far back for 150-200mm range, then the guests will tend to walk in front of the action and ruin your shot. It's difficult to clear a path that long during an active reception, unless the dance floor is cleared and everyone is in their seats. The long end of that range, is also too long for full on dance shots. I realize the zoom is certainly more convenient, as you could zoom out of course. I would also prefer a wider aperture for inside. I'm not sure if you will be using a flash or not.

I recently shot as a second shooter for a friend (no pay either) and I used the 70-200mm f/2.8L II for the outside ceremony and the 85mm f/1.2L for the inside reception with lots of windows, so I didn't require a flash. I was using a 7D, so the 85mm for me will be like the 135mm for you, and even the 85mm on a crop was a bit long at times during the reception.

I think you should bring your 50/1.8 as well as your 24-70, to capture the "total" event as it's happening and also consider renting a 135mm f/2L which is right in the middle of the 70-200 range. In a pinch you could add the 1.4X extender, to make it a 189 f/2.8, it's also much lighter to carry around all day and it's a black stealth lens and if you use it with the white extender then it looks like an Oreo Cookie. The 135mm Full Frame combo is a bit too long for torso group shots of more than 2 people inside, but it will be a great candid lens inside. Another good shorter lens to consider would be the 100mm f/2 .

I rented a 135mm f/2L for 5 days (from lensrental via this site) $64 which included shipping both ways as well as the user damage insurance. Regardless of what you choose, $120 sounds high to me too.

Rich

Rich, the $120 number is from lensrentals w/ shipping. I

I
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3

Granted, I was casually shooting at the same wedding with 24-105, 70-200/2.8, and 85/1.2 on three bodies.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

[]

Realityinabox: I "casually shot" a wedding a few weeks ago with just a 135L and 24-70 on my 1D3. The 135L was great for the ceremony but too long for the reception on that body -- I kept having to back up. It might be OK on your 5D2, though. On the other hand, if you're the hang-back type, you might do well with the 70-200, especially if you can get the 2.8 IS II.

If the primary photographer wants you to get details, the 50 will be handy with its shallow DOF.