Hi all, I'm new here. Ok, so here's the deal. I have an XT that came with the 18-55mm kit lens. My particular copy of the kit lens seems to actually be pretty good...I've gotten some fantastic pictures with it. But I'm ready to graduate to something new. I also recently got an old 35mm Rebel with a couple of very old lenses (a 35-80mm and a 75-300mm), both of which work fine, but I'd like something that could basically replace both the 18-55mm and the 35-80mm that I could use on both cameras (so, no EF-S lenses...the 17-55mm EF-S looks fantastic, but I can't afford it anyway).

Ideally, I'd love to get the 24-105mm IS L lens, but I don't have that kind of money, and honestly, until I get around to making money with my camera, I don't think I can justify spending that much money on a lens, beautiful as it is. I'm basically looking between the 28-135mm IS and the 28-105mm USM II. I've used the 28-135mm IS before, and while it did fine...mostly the build quality bothered me. I've been reading reviews of both lenses, and I'm actually seeing less negative reviews of the 28-105mm II than I'm seeing of the 28-135mm IS.

I take 95% of the pictures with my XT in raw format, and I'm planning to use the 35mm camera pretty exclusively for black & white photography, so as far as color quality goes, if I can post-process in DPP or Photoshop, I'll be fine with it. I know that 28mm might be a little narrow on the XT body, and I do take a lot of landscapes, but I rarely use the range below 24mm on my 18-55mm lens simply because the photo quality seems to be best right around 24mm on that lens.

Does anyone have experience with both of these lenses that could give me some idea of how they compare? Thanks!