Quote Originally Posted by Magijr View Post
I really do not have a budget (my wife cant see this can she? LOL) , I would rather buy a lens that I will have for many years and take the best quality pictures.
Great philosophy. I can tell you from personal experience that 'taking better pictures of your child' is a justification that usually has a lot of traction with a wife, at least with mine.

I am going to take a course in photography in the Fall to lean about the camera and the lens that I choose and get the most out of both.
That's a great idea. Some introductory books can be great as well - Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure and some of Michael Freeman's books are great places to start.

Do you think the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Telephoto Zoom Lens is a crazy purchase, or a good investment?
Definitely a good investment, but perhaps not something you need right away. My experience with the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II was that on an APS-C camera, the focal length was rather 'awkward' - it was too long to use conveniently indoors except right near the wide end. As a result, I really didn't use it that much on my 7D. After getting a 5DII, though, it became my second most-used lens - on FF, it's a great focal range indoors and out, living room to backyard to beach.