Thread: Upgrade from 40d to 50d ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Upgrade from 40d to 50d ?

Hi All,

Here is an interesting mind boggler I am currently thinking about.

Last year I have bought my second hand 40d. The camera works fine, and I am very glad to have made the upgrade from my compact to this DSLR.

When selecting the 40D, I took in mind, What do I have to spend for this camera, and what do the reviews say?

At that time the 50D was a bit to expensive for me ( even in the second hand market ) and also I had read some reviews that the 40D would be a better buy, because it was in some features a little better than the 50D.( from the top of my head it had to do something with a higher ISO on the 50D would cause more noise than on the 40D )

But, here is the thing I am thinking about currently.

When I look at the second hand camera market here in The netherlands, I see that for a second hand 40D I could ask about 400 - 450 euros.

A second hand 50D now costs about 500- 600 euro ( pending on what is extra, battery grip or lens )

The thing I am concerned about is, that the 60D has made his entrance, so now I am running with my 40D 1 model behind. Should ( and I think this will be a matter of time ) the 70D come into market, I then am 2 models behind. Also I expect that should the 70D come into the market, my 40D would lose value overnight

So I am currently thinking of selling my 40D for about 400- 450 euro

Re: Upgrade from 40d to 50d ?

Ger

I checked out your website. Some nice work here. My suggestion would be to keep the 40D and invest in some lenses. The 40D is an excelent camera and I am not sure the 50D is really a step up.

Mark
    Mark

<div>

Interesting quandary. I'm with Mark on this - the 40D is a very capable camera, and the 50D is a modest upgrade. The biggest change from 40D to 50D is the 50% boost in megapixels (which was done very well, without a major impact on noise or frame rate). So, if you feel that your MP count on the 40D is limiting you (e.g. if you like to crop your images heavily), then the 50D is worth considering. Else, stick with the 40D and invest in a lens. I'm not sure what lens(es) you have, but in general, the lens contributes much more to image quality than the body.

One other factor to consider - is the 60D really an upgrade from the 50D? IMO, Canon shifted the focus of the xxD line with the introduction of the 60D - they eliminated some key features from the 50D, like autofocus microadjustment, changed the body material from magnesium alloy to polycarbonate (plastic), changed from CF cards to SD cards (an additional expense if you 'upgrade'), and dropped one fps from the frame rate. So, as currently positioned, the 60D (and probably future xxD bodies) are now more like an upgrade path from an xxxD/Rebel body, and 40/50D users are being pushed toward the 7D as an upgrade.
    </div>

Hi Ger,

I'm absolutely with Mark on this one. Like Neuroanatomist says, the biggest improvement on the 50D is the increased amount of megapixels. One other "big" improvement in my opinion is the abity to have Micro Focus Adjustment. If you're not in the position that you need either of these, you can better invest in other things.

Quote Originally Posted by BelGer
    When I look at the second hand camera market here in The netherlands, I see that for a second hand 40D I could ask about 400 - 450 euros.

I guess you're talking about body with lens or body with batterygrip? I bought a 40D with 2 batteries, total of 12GB on memory cards and a big book about the 40D for only 275 Euro earlier this year. All in great state, even some memorycards with photos I wouldn't have wanted to see, but I won't get into that[] It might be an effect from the current season(I bought it in springtime), but at the time I was looking I wouldn't have paid more than 250-275 Euro for a body only. Perhaps in this season it would be max 300 Euro.

Quote Originally Posted by BelGer
    This way I would have a model which is 1-2 years old, and also the 60D is the next best thing.

Like John already said, you shouldn't be looking at the 60D as a follow-up on the older XXD models. The 60D is a camera that's more or less inbetween the xxxD series and the older XXD series like the 40D and 50D. In my opinion the 7D is the true upgrade from the 50D.

Good luck,

Jan

Hi all,

Thank you very much for your feedback. really appreciate it.

I did not really read a review about the 60D, but a friend of mine has one. The first thing that came to my mind was when I saw it, it looked very " plastically" and also the body looks smaller. ( I compared it a bit with the body of the Canon powershot SX30.( which has grown in size a bit )

But I am wandering off.

I am glad to hear that I made the right choice by buying the 40D last year. and that since then the body did not really evolve in the way many would have expected.

Well then... now it is saving for the 7D :-D

@ Mark, thnx for the compliment regarding the website.It still needs some tweaking, and I am not very happy how I have classified the menu items. but I am working on it.

Again thnx you guys for your input .

Ger