Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Public Service Announcement

Bird Public Service Announcement

I think most of you know I am spending most of my photographic time watching my feeder and woods immediately behind my bird feeder. Overall, it has been a lot of fun. It is interesting as you spot and watch things for awhile you start to see different things that you perhaps have not noticed for the years you have been living at the same house.

For instance, there is a small hole at the base of a tree. Over the past week, I started noticing this hole becoming very popular:

Name:  TDP-3232.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  162.8 KB

Name:  TDP-4256.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  174.9 KB

Name:  TDP-4262.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  166.1 KB

Name:  TDP-4279.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  160.6 KB

About the time I saw some non-birds get in on the action...

Name:  TDP-4419.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  175.4 KB

...I decided to investigate for myself...totally expecting to see a treasure trove of nuts or something like that.

But, what I have found made me realize that I need to modify my bird set up. What I found makes complete sense....

Water

There was water in the bottom of the hole and as spring has been progressing I suspect other water sources are drying up. I have noticed over the years how I have abundant birds in the spring and they trail off as summer comes along, but always with a reasonable population.

So, I have decided to augment my bird set up with some water. I already have a bird bath in my front lawn, but my bird feeder is out back. Does anyone else provide their birds water? Anything that you recommend or prefer?

As I read your short story about the hole in the tree I was pretty sure it was water!

Amazing how so many different "critters" find and use the same resource .... they must watch one another.

Water is a powerful bird attractor especially if the water is bubbling or flowing.

I have, for a long time, considered building a water feature to add to my set up....just too lazy to actually follow through so far.

Used water for a long time along with food. Never was in short supply for birdy subjects.

So, that was the PSA for the birds, they need water too!

So, what do you use for your birds? One of the things I am bringing in for a try is a small solar powered fountain. I would have thought that would have scared the birds, but it is advertised that they like it???

I know BillW has a stone that water gently bubbles up through the top. He's actually posted pictures of HBs drinking from it.

Bird blinds...photographying birds...water sources.....

After watching a review video on the 1DX III from this photo safari group, I have been following them on youtube....

I may want to up my game a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxMPPSqDJaA

I watched part of that video too.

I think he went to too much trouble....a simple "pop up" hunting blind works quite well.

They are pretty cheap, set up is fast and they are easy to move around or take with you to another location.

The one I have is "The Dog House" made by Ameristep.

The key part of that video is to make sure you have a backyard in Botswana.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    The key part of that video is to make sure you have a backyard in Botswana.
    As they say: location location location !!!

hahaha

Hey Brant...just saw this subject line.
    As Joel, I suspected water also.
    As you mentioned the "bubbler" I use (in the backyard) is perfect for the HBs; i.e. makes gurgling and splashing noises that HBs love and the water doesn't have any depth, just a gentle waterfall type movement.
    In the side yard, where all the seed and suet feeders are, I have a heated birdbath. It's plugged in for winter and unplugged for the warmer months. It's very popular w/all the birds and woodland creatures year round. I highly recommend it for those of us in colder climes.
    I'll be interested in hearing about your experience w/the solar powered bird bath accessory.
    Everybody stay safe and healthy
    Bill