Thread: 430 ex flash recycle time?

430 ex flash recycle time?

My 430EX recycle time is very slow. What would help improve it? or is there anything else to try? I use Canon 30D & 40D (batteries brand new in the flash)

Re: 430 ex flash recycle time?

Mine is relatively fast until I put it up to 1/1. Then it is pretty slow.

Are you firing at full power when you are experiencing the slow recycle times?

yes full power

Yeah it can be pretty slow. Batteries aren't the only issue. The capacitors have to take the charge from the battery and the electronics are a major part of the bottle neck. Get high mAh and keep em fresh. They won't increase the speed it recycles, but they will last longer before recycle time drops off dramatically.

What kind of batteries? Alkaline batteries are far slower to recharge than NiMH rechargeables.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Thank You, I will look into that. Do you think the 580EX recycles faster? or is this a problem we just have to live with?

I don't have enough true experience with the 430s to know - I have four 580IIs and rented three 430s for holiday studio work, but the 430s were background flashes and everything was ETTL. That said, since the 580s are stronger, I'd suspect that a 580 could fire at 1/3-2/3 stop less power (relative to full) and that would lead to a faster recycle.

I will say that a 580 with an external battery pack is mighty impressive. One of the places where it can really show is as an on-camera flash, even if it isn't contributing to the lighting. Sending the trigger signals are quite a drain on the battery - having the battery pack changes the way things work something fierce. I'm expecting my second CP-E4 from B&H on Tuesday!
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.