Thread: Upgrading 5D 3 for weddings/Action Anyone use 5DIV & 1DXII

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The biggest improvment in Canon sensor tech recently is that the 5D4 has more detail in LOW ISO images, and you can push in detail from the shadows that all previous cameras would have recorded as noise. Oh, and if you shoot video, the 5D4 can record in log mode now... but you'll need to post process your video.

Having used a 1Ds2, I was amazed by how it handled highlights compared to the crop bodies (T1i, 7D, 7D2). I'm not sure such improved highlight handling is in a 5D series, or is 1D specific (I read an ancient article about how the 1D series did gain processing in analog, while other bodies did it digital, which could account for this, but I have no idea if a) it was even really true at the time, or b) if either half of that statement is still true today). This improvement is likely more important than pushing LOW ISO shadows, or log mode video to most shooters.

If you are in the USA, then LensRentals is an affordable way to give the two bodies a brief trial run and judge for yourself.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    If you are in the USA, then LensRentals is an affordable way to give the two bodies a brief trial run and judge for yourself.
    I was thinking about renting them, just not sure I want to shell out more money if I cant make the decision by doing research :-)

I might try the Canon loan program too
    http://benandmolly.com
    5DIII (x2) | 6D | 24mm f/1.4L II USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | 24-105mm f/4L USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM (x3) | 65mm MP-E f/2.8 | 85mm f/1.2L II USM | 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM

Quote Originally Posted by prayharder View Post
    I was thinking about renting them, just not sure I want to shell out more money if I cant make the decision by doing research :-)
    If you rent from LensRentals and decide that you like it, you can click the "It's a Keeper" button and buy it outright. The buyout price takes into account your rental fee, the lack of return shipping needed, etc., and you know exactly which device you're buying.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.