Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning it the Hard Way.

Learning it the Hard Way.

Thought I'd share a recent lesson I've learned.

Somehow, one of my snowboarding photos won an amateur contest over at Transworld Snowboarding(link takes you to the page). I don't know how it won as there were some sickkk shots in there.

The photo associate from TW called me to say congratulations (I felt like I won American Idol, the lottery, and deal or no deal all at the same time). He also said that he'd like to see my portfolio of snowboard images. I've only been "legit" shooting snowboarding for this year, so needless to say, my "portfolio" is not deep.

Observation #1: If you're looking to go pro, or get published, always have some sort of portfolio handy. Duplicate and save your portfolio images in a folder and keep it on your desktop or somewhere handy. You never know when opportunity will come. (I had to scrounge around my computer and external HD to find the images I wanted to send).

Observation #2: Do what the publication person says. The photo associate suggested I send my files via yousendit.com. I didn't. Upset photo associate. (Since the folder was "only" 13MB and gmail can handle that, I sent it with my normal email. His email bogs up if he gets an attachment much over 2MB. That's a big difference).

Hopefully I didn't piss him off too much, so he'll still check out my stuff.

I'm definitely not professional and absolutely do not have experience in the magazine world, but I feel like I've learned enough last night to share those observations.

Rodger

Re: Learning it the Hard Way.

Fantastic shot Rodger!

Doors open and doors close. The more you want it the harder it seems to get. My advice, relax and see what happens. As long as your livelyhood doesn't depend on it you don't have a lot to loose. I hope everything works out for you. Keep us informed. I'm routing for you!

Go Rodger Go!! [Y]

Congrats Rodger!That is a great shot.

I'm finding that a huge thing to being a working photog is throw out the ego (not saying you have one). If people like you, you are timely and do a decent job, you will get work. I hear so much about people sick of pompous arrogant photographer just being general prima donnas.

So be humble and do your best. Also be confident but don't take on work that is outside of your range.Even if your best isn't the best someone will give you a chance if they like you and you work hard.

And definitely have an online portfolio. A nice business card is good too. I see so many photographers with really bad business cards. Every photographer thinks they are an artist (some are and some aren't) and can do their own ads and collateral, some should buck up and admit they need help in this area and find someone who will do design work on trade.

Congrats, Rodger! I am sure all will work out well with this one ...and the next! Remember, this is just the beginning! [Y]

Cheers! [D]

Denise

Awesome shot. I wouldn't worry about the other stuff. (Actually, if I had taken that shot I would just sit around all day feeling proud of myself )

Thanks so much guys.

Thanks for the advice Keith. That's some real solid stuff.

It'll work out how it's supposed to. There's a quote from a book called "Fearless" by Max Lucado that comes to my mind. "It will all work out in the end. If it's not working out, it's not the end." haha I like that one.

Great shot Roger...and good observations. I'd say more but I'm doing my own vain thing here and I'm quite tired and I need to go to bed (I may post before it's over).

Congrats dude [Y]

Congrats Roger and thanks for the Tips. [Y]
    Bob

Amazing shot Roger. Congratulations!!!