Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I FINALLY got my speedlight OFF CAM

I FINALLY got my speedlight OFF CAM

HI Guys,

Finally, after putting it off for so long I've finally indulged myself and got me a wireless trigger. I know some of you read and replied to my previous posts regarding wireless triggers' features and specs. I finally decided and got me the Phottix Odin. It's ETTL and HSS capable. It's actually very simple to use as I just attached what needs to be attached and snapped a few pictures at ETTL no less. Though, admittedly my pictures are far from what SEAN and the other strobists are posting I do somehow feel satisfied with my purchase and am excited to learn. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a focus assist beam.

Anyway here are a few pictures for you guys to critique. I especially need tips on how to position the light from the subject and how to soften the light.

here are a few of my shots:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strobe0001.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	215 light was squarely to the left of the picture facing straight up with the "white catchlight" thingy extended.

Name:	strobe0002.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	216 light was about 45 degrees on the left of the picture. Sorry my kid got tired of posing for me so I took it out on his sister's doll.

Name:	strobe0003.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	217 a new volunteer! my kids nanny. same as the doll light was around 45 degrees to the left.

So what do you guys think??? all were set to +/- 0.0 EV.

Thanks for viewing..

James

Nice work James......

Curious - what made you go with the Phottix Odin vs. PocketWizards?

Great shots, James - the exposures look good on all three (although the focus is off on the 3rd, looks front-focused).

Next step...two off-camera lights. Then three...or some monolights.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    Next step...two off-camera lights. Then three...or some monolights.
    And the slippery slope begins...

Off Camera Flash Pics

I just picked up a LumoPro LP160 and have been triggering it with either a 1/8" cord or as an optical slave.

Shot with flash high left and a flag on the left hand side to shield the wall from the flash.

Name:	2011_12_08_1532.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	223

Shot through flash high left and diffused with umbrella.

Name:	2011_12_08_1539.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	220

Shot in home made light box. The flash is pointed to the left.

Name:	2011_12_08_1567.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	221

Flash is shot through an umbrella.

Name:	2011_12_08_1605.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	222

Flash is shot through an umbrella.

Name:	2011_12_08_1607.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	224

thanks guys....

@ neuro...I kind of expected this question...why phottix Odin instead of Pocket wizards?? well I read somewhere that the pocket wizards were having some problems in transmitting with the 580EXII. I'm not really sure if it's true or if it would apply to me but it kind of did kind of made me think. Also PW's are more expensive though not by much when compared with the Odin. I have been reading mostly good stuff about the Odin and a friend of mine uses the Phottix Stratos and loves them. I was considering the Pixel King TR332[??] but decided on the phottix instead.

@sean......
    and the slippery slope begins....
    yes it kind of feels like there is a welling of an urge to buy extra recievers and lights within me. I'll do my best to hold off..

again thanks guys.....

BTW are the light positions okay??? Nobody commented on light position was kind of hoping to get more info on that subject.

James

thanks Kayaker72.....

Thoughts...

There's nothing wrong with the light position, per se, but the lighting doesn't make the images "sing," either. It isn't punchy, and therefore doesn't pull you into the image. Maybe it's the intensity of the light--it's just too well balanced between highlight, shadow, and the light falling on the background. And if you placed the light just slightly higher, and not so far over to one side, it might look better.

Take this shot I did today, for example:

December in Cookeville by budrowilson, on Flickr

I used one light (granted, a monolight), shot in raw, and never looked at the histogram. Truth be told, it was a bit overexposed in the RAW, but I pushed it down a touch in DPP and then PS. Is this the best shot I've ever taken of myself? Not even close. But the light succeeds in pulling the viewer right to my face, the brightest part of the image, right where I want them to look. The light was also purposefully placed so that it just barely reached under my thick brow line to illuminate my eyes. Is the skin on my face overexposed? Yes--and it's exactly the way I wanted it.

So yeah, placement is important--generally speaking, the light has to seem to be motivated by something. That's why we typically place mainlights noticeably above eye level. The placement mimics what we're used to seeing--overhead lighting (from the sun or typical interior lighting).

Keep experimenting. Browse through images, find the ones you like, and deconstruct how they were done. Try to copy them, or impart your own spin on the image. Shoot boat-loads of shots...it's the best way to learn what you want your style to be. And just for the record, I shot 34 frames today--all but this went into the recycle bin. I failed to achieve what I considered a Flickr-postable image 33 out of 34 attempts. I've learned a 'ell of a lot more from failure than I ever did from success.
    Last edited by Sean Setters; 12-12-2011 at 02:18 AM.

@Sean..... Thanks so much for the "critique"... I was looking at my shots again earlier and yes I did notice that they did lack " ooomph". I will be practicing and hopefully in days to come I will be able to post some great pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by jks_photo View Post
    @Sean..... Thanks so much for the "critique"... I was looking at my shots again earlier and yes I did notice that they did lack " ooomph". I will be practicing and hopefully in days to come I will be able to post some great pictures...
    I look forward to seeing the great things to come...