Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6d2 review timing?

6d2 review timing?

I'm leaning strongly towards upgrading from 6d to 6d2. A small,voice in my head though is thinking of a 5d4 or even a 1dx2.

I'd normally be in no hurry, but I have a Europe trip Aug 19-aug 31 and if I do upgrade, it might be nice (or else really dumb) to get the new camera in time to bring it. As I value Bryan's reviews more than any other, I was hoping to see what he thinks of the 6d2 before deciding. I live in Pittsburgh, unfortunately a long way from B&H, etc, where I could easily check them all out.

Any prediction on the timing of a 6d2 review?
    Canon 6D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8 L III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art"; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro; Canon 24-105 f/4 L ; Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS (unused nowadays), EF 85 f/1.8; Canon 1.4x TC Mk. 3; 3x Phottix Mitros+ flashes

My prediction is that if you wait for the review there might be a chance you will not get the new body by August 19th.
    Not that Bryan's review will not be timely, but you may not be able to find one available unless you get on a pre-order list.

I would listen to the voices, and unless you need the ultimate action camera go with the 5D IV.

Well....i am considering to change my 5DSr to 6D2 =) Realised that i spent about 90% my time taking pictures on night time so seems to be a valid option for that.

6d2 could be the new full frame 70D\80D, a good priced body for everything
    Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!

Jamsus

Rent one. You're 1-3 days away from LensRentals.com as FedEx goes. But me personally, I rarely find that the next model is all that worthwhile of an upgrade, and it usually takes two revisions before I'm jumping to buy up. If anything, I'd be looking at a 5D4 or 5DsR if I were in your shoes, and the only reason I'd be looking at a 1Dx2 is if you needed the responsiveness that the 5DsR just barely lacks or the ISO that the 5D4 can't give you.

If it's any perspective, my wife and I both shoot. We have a 5DsR, two 1Dx, and a 5D3. Normally, I get the 5DsR and a 1Dx, as she's not good at managing her exposure and will often spend a day either at ISO 6400 or f/18 (or both), and the 5DsR doesn't do well at max ISO or at long shutter speeds, so I just don't let her use it. She therefore gets the 5D3 and a 1Dx. However, I get twitchy whenever I think about some random failure in the 5DsR, so I ponder the right choice for a backup camera. The 5D4 seems to fit the bill perfectly: 30mp feels like a better 50mp backup than 22 or 18mp, dual CPU seems like a better backup than single (in the 5D3), and yet "reasonable" high ISO performance makes it "safe" for my wife to use. I do suspect there's another 5DsR in our future after the 5D4, but I'm just not seeing myself reach for the 1Dx often enough to create a case to get a 1Dx2. Does that perspective help at all?
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
    ...I rarely find that the next model is all that worthwhile of an upgrade, and it usually takes two revisions before I'm jumping to buy up.
    +1

I don't find the 1D X II sufficiently tempting for me to upgrade. The lower lines cycle faster, and I do think it's time for me to pick up an M6 to replace my M2.

Per sensor gear head user reviews posted so far it appears the 6D2 low ISO dynamic range is actually a touch less than the original 6D -- which would be completely shocking in my mind. We'll have to see what the lab tests show.

Personally as a current 6D user I'm giving serious consideration to going back to a crop body like the 80D as my primary camera. I like the user features such as touch screen, frame rate, better autofocus, and on chip processing.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    +1

I don't find the 1D X II sufficiently tempting for me to upgrade. The lower lines cycle faster, and I do think it's time for me to pick up an M6 to replace my M2.
    I hear what you guys are saying. I consider the 5DIV to be all around better than the 5DIII (except for battery life, I keep seeing references to lessor battery life), but even when I borrowed it and looked for some reason to upgrade, it wasn't "sufficiently tempting" as you say.

But, just to throw this out there, as long as you are going to sell you current body used, at certain price points it makes sense to me to upgrade even if the upgrades are incremental. Looking at owning bodies over 3 generations of camera:

Scenario 1: Buy at release, skip generation, buy at release.
    In this scenario, you are the early adopter, but you bought two new bodies, just to use 5D numbers, say at $3,500 each. Say you get $500 for your 2 generation old body. So outlay of $6,500.

Scenario 2: Buy after 1 yr, skip generation, buy after 1 yr.
    This can save you some money, say $3,000 for a new body, same $500 value returned for your 2 gen old body, total outlay of $5,500

Scenario 3: Buy at release, buy at release, buy at release
    You are an early adopter for each generation. You just spent $3,500 x 3 or $10,500 on camera bodies that should last you ~12 yrs. However, if you sold two of those bodies (trade-in) the going rate on a 1 gen old body seems to be ~$1,500, so you recovered $3,000 of that.

Total outlay for scenario 3 is $7,500.

Scenario 4: Buy after 1 yr, buy after 1 year, buy after 1 yr.
    So, here, you buy each generation, but you wait a year so you are not the early adopter. New camera cost is $9,000. However, you were also able to sell two bodies that were only 1 generation old, not two. Those seem to go for ~$1,500 each, or $3k.

So, total outlay for scenario 3 is actually ~$6,000.

So, comparing Scenario 2 and 4, just by waiting a year and not being an early adopter, for $500 more you can have each new generation. Run that out over 40 yrs, $5,000 extra to always have the latest body, or $125/yr.

This is why I am tempted by the 5DIV. I'll look at the numbers later this year and decide if I am upgrading or not.

Other reasons to upgrade

I recently pulled the trigger on the upgrade from the 5D III to the 5d IV. I am happy with the upgrade, but mainly for reasons not yet mentioned in this thread.

I did not upgrade mainly because of better image quality. The image quality is undoubtedly better for some specific scenarios, such the need to pull detail from shadows or when a little extra cropping is important. Those scenarios represent less than 5% of anything I shoot. For the huge majority of my images, the 5d III image quality was not the limiting factor, rather my photographic abilities.

Instead I appreciate the "social" advantages. An important part of my need for a camera is for family and vacation memories. Most of those are not something I would want to heavily post-process or to post publicly. BUT, because of Wifi, at last I can put a shot on a family member's cell phone right away, instead of "later" after I download to my computer. Because these are not controlled circumstances, many shots benefit from basic cropping, so that the ability to crop a photo in camera before transfer is very helpful.

I am no videographer, and never had the knack of pulling focus. For casual family videos the DPAF handles this very well, and there is no issue of need for one camera for stills and another for video.

So far as I know, all these advantages would apply equally well to the 6D II. They would not apply to buying a used/ refurb 5D III.

If instead you are interested in upgrade mainly for the IQ for stills, the option of a used 5d III would be a worthy consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post

Personally as a current 6D user I'm giving serious consideration to going back to a crop body like the 80D as my primary camera. I like the user features such as touch screen, frame rate, better autofocus, and on chip processing.

Dave
    That is exactly what I did. I just sold my 6d and T1i in anticipation of the 6dii, but the 80d is looking pretty good and I still have the lenses to complete a great kit for a crop camera. I tried to buy an 80d over the 4th holiday, but canon cancelled my order Perhaps it is a sign.
    Last edited by wsmith96; 07-19-2017 at 11:31 AM.