Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon VS. Nikon

Canon VS. Nikon

I want to know you opinions on which Camera you prefer and why.... Nikon Vs Canon (feel free to add in another brand like olympus i just figured those were the top two)

Thanks!

Re: Canon VS. Nikon

Which one is better? I'm not quite sure, but I really like the overall feel of Canon's lineup. The reason I shoot Canon isbecause my parents bought their first DSLR, a Rebel Xti, before I bought myself a 40D.

Sort of funny, I was asked to shoot with a friend's D300 once, and I couldn't do a thing - It was as if everything was in a different language to me. I hesitantly turned the dial to "P" with shame...[]

I picked up a Nikon about 5 years ago. I thought it felt more comfortable in my hand and I like the placement of the controls better. The front dial is below the shutter button and the back dial is where the AF point selection button is on the canon. This just seemed easier to use for me. I went with the canon because at the time it had 8MP for less than $1,000 and the canon has better optics across the whole lineup. I love my 5D and canon lenses and glad I went this route.

Mark
    Mark

My first Digital Camera was a S100.. eventually moved up to a G2 as I was enjoying photography more and more.
    Took a break and then eventually dropped the $$ for my DSLR and bought a 40D.

Sold my 40D recently and now I have a big sexy L lens and no body LOL! But picking up a 5DII hopefully in the next week or two.

Oh.. reason for buying, S100 was my first and really liked the Canon IQ even then And the menus/ergo feel was right for me.

Sometimes it just comes down to what you're using to using. I started out using an xti and now with my 5D2 there are no major differences in controls and all and so i've come to become very comfortable with the whole canon layout of controls and the overall feel to their cameras. I've tried using a nikon D700 before and it took me a little while to figure out what did what. It felt very solid and i liked that feeling, much better than how my old xti felt in my hands haha

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]Emma,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] That&rsquo;s a good question and one that I wrestled with a couple of years ago and there were several non-technical reasons I went with Canon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-size: small;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri;"]First,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I must blame a good portion of my Canon enthusiasm on Bryan Carnathan.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Yes Bryan, It&rsquo;s your fault.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] When I started researching,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I found Bryan&rsquo;s website and could definitely see his enthusiasm for this equipment, yet he didn&rsquo;t mind telling you if there were problems with any specific lens, body or accessory.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Second:<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Come Sunday,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] watch a pro football game,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] you&rsquo;ll see a bunch of big white (Canon) Lenses, far more of these than Nikon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Also, <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]watch the National Geographic Channel or go to their website,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] you&rsquo;ll notice much of the same.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Since, I have been out of the hobby for 30 years,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] I didn&rsquo;t know enough at that time to understand much of the technical aspects of the equipment or the reviews,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] so I tended to watch the pro&rsquo;s and see what they were using&mdash;Just to get a gut feeling.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Third:<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Canon equipment seems to be a much more integrated system&mdash;more so than Nikon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Canon also seems to have better lens line-up.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]At this point I decided to buy a Canon <span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]XTI,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] and subsequently bought a two year old (rental) 100-400L lens.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] When I got the lens I thought I had focusing problems with it, so I sent it to Canon for repair.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] They found some adjustment problems with it, repaired it, had it back to me in a week, and best of all the repair was <b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"]free[/b]----Now that is customer service.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] The lens has worked like a champ ever since.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"]A few months ago I upgraded to a 50D, added to my lens and accessory lineup and haven&rsquo;t regretted a single purchase.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]So,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] those are my non-technical reasons for going Canon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] From the technical aspect---well,<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] Nikon wouldn&rsquo;t be in business if they weren&rsquo;t competitive on some level with Canon.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes;"] There are hundreds of reviews and comparisons of comparable models and opinions swing both ways. Honestly , go with your gut------But watch the football game first.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<o><span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]</o>
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Good Luck,
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt;"]<span style="font-family: Calibri; font-size: small;"]Bob

Bob

Several years ago (300D release) I looked around at all the Camera's and compared non-edited photographs resulting from that various Digi SLR's and like the results the Canon's were getting the most.... Now days, it's cause I have a bunch of Canon lenses first and foremost.

If I made my living off of photography I'd at least take a look at who is 'currently' the best, but it would have to be fairly clear cut for me to switch.

I started out with a Canon film camera for no reason in particular at the age of 12. When I switched to the EOS system I stuck with Canon as their lens based focusing seemed ahead of the game compared to the body focusing.

When I went digital I stuck with Canon as the 300D was the right price at the right time. Now I have a 40D and none of the lenses I started out with, and am still happy with Canon. I've had a bit of the grass is greener feeling from online reviews, but whena friend got a Pentax K10D I was surprised to find it felt slow and unrepsonsive, and I had a similar reaction to a Nikon body in terms of control layout. There is a lot of just going with what you are familiar with, I think. There is a learning curve to any system, and it takes time to get familiar with the capabilities.

I think any of the systems for Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus and Nikon that are comparable in price will produce comparable results. I would HIGHLY recommend trying it out in your hands - there is a big difference between bodies both in the same brand and between brands. Different people like different things, and one person's logical button layout is another's nightmare. Some love compact size, others love a big viewfinder.

Nikon has a very logical zoom lens lineup:

12-24 2.8

24-70 2.8

70-200 2.8

200-400 f/4

but canon's lenses generally are less expensive. I think you save some 2000 dollars by getting the canon 400 f/2.8 over the nikon.

Well, I went with Canon as my Brother in law had a 30D, my mate has a 5D soI went with what I saw overall! Canon SEEM more popular (that may just be me).
    As someone else put, they have a better integrated system than Nikon, when I see Nikon users, the majority of the time its with a non Nikon lens, but with Canon, 98% of the time I see a canon lens attached!