Thread: Insurance for your gear

Insurance for your gear

I don't shoot professionally so I don't need liability or anything. I could add my lenses to the rider policy I have that covers wedding rings, engagement rings, watches, etc. (replacement coverage for mobile items). However, should I consider something else? I've been inspired by the loss of a 100-400 and the 7D we've heard about recently.

I added all my gear to our homeowners policy. It costs $51/yr to cover just over $2k in equipment. Full replacement cost for any loss.

Homeowners will probably be cheapest, mine is about $3.50 per thousand. My old policy was about $6.00 per thousand per year. For all homeowner personal item replacement make sure your insurance is for full replacement cost.

Insurance is a good idea for things you don't want to do without. For me, photography equipment falls under that category.

I pay $7.60/year per $1000 gear covered on a State Farm Personal Articles policy.

The advantage of that sort of policy (equivalent to a homeowner's policy rider) is that it's cheap compared to a business policy. The disadvantage is that if you file too many claims, it can affect your homeowner's rates and even eligibility for coverage.