Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: R5? R6? Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    So the 5 has 8 stop IBIS.
    "Stabilization gets better if you pair the in-body stabilizers with a compatible RF- or EF-mount lens."

So has anyone found the list of EF lenses that it is compatible with?
    How would this stack with the in body IS of my 500mm?
    This might be a bigger improvement and benefit to eliminate noise in low light than having the lower mp sensor. I can get my 500mm down to 1/250 before shake really becomes an issue. Getting it down even lower would be huge.

What are you shooting with the 500 mm lens, that would benefit from a slower shutter speed? If it's birds or other wildlife, they will need to be perfectly still to get the shot. I can see where the IBIS is a game changer for people that want to use the camera for walking around, especially with that new 100-500 RF zoom. But when you are attaching it to a big lens like the 500 f/4, you're probably using a tripod so the lens IS should be more than enough to deal with the regular vibrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Huyer View Post
    What are you shooting with the 500 mm lens, that would benefit from a slower shutter speed? If it's birds or other wildlife, they will need to be perfectly still to get the shot. I can see where the IBIS is a game changer for people that want to use the camera for walking around, especially with that new 100-500 RF zoom. But when you are attaching it to a big lens like the 500 f/4, you're probably using a tripod so the lens IS should be more than enough to deal with the regular vibrations.
    The early morning blind, big game like deer seldom moves that fast. Even the bobcats like to stop and look around. Carrying a tripod in the field is not always the best option and I seldom do.

If your maxed out in the evening or morning, an extra IS stop might get you 7 to 8 more minutes with a lower shutter speed for a shot that you normally wouldn't even try.

More IS would help in all situations where you do not have the tripod.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I came across where B&H compared the R5 to an number of different camera bodies and here where a number of Canon Explorers of Light, who have used the R5/R6, answer questions about them.
    Interesting .... would have liked to see the Sony a9II and Nikon D850 comparison (especially AF tracking)

Also would love to see AF tracking capability with EF adapted lenses.

I almost pucked uo the R, the R5 is likely in the bag soon. Why?

Here is my logic.

I loved the resolution of the 5DsR that I rented... close enough.

Mirrorless, I almost went to mf4/3 for the benefit of no flappy mirror. Ta da.

Twistt Flippy!!!!! Man everytime I borrow my friends 80d the touch flippy gets me and when I go back to the 5d3 aaaarrrggghh

My sigma art lenses now are IBIS and that is cool.

34 mp Still capture from movie frames for "net" published photos moves the equivalent fps to 30?!?!? Belly LOL!!

I have use for movies/vids in wild life shooting.... wonder how close the shutter speed can get to the fps.... cant shoot 30 fps at 1/15th.

Saw the silent disables aeb... darn but 12 fps with no mirror is same as my 1dx.1 so that works.

I will be getting it in the fall. Too freaking hot in FL right now. Hope the supply chain is decent.

STAY SAFE AND UNINFECTED. Lets just say I am way deep the epidemiology of cobid and while dying is bad the rate of permanent disability is the story missed by the media.
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Quote Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles View Post
    STAY SAFE AND UNINFECTED. Lets just say I am way deep the epidemiology of cobid and while dying is bad the rate of permanent disability is the story missed by the media.
    The media has missed many things. They dilute the reports on symptoms so you have to much information and do not focus on the major things you should be watching. It is Silent Hypoxia, if you get it buy yourself a pulse oximeter and if your oxygen starts getting below 90% get to the emergency room. This thing kills by stealing your ability to take in oxygen.

Wear masks, social distance and be safe. We have been there and back already. It is no fun and scary as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    I should really get off the internet and go take pictures......
    This sentence pretty much sums up what I think about these new cameras. When I first saw rumors about the R5 and R6, I thought the R6 could be a worthy replacement for the 6D I bought in 2012 (to be fair, I think the EOS R already is at the price you can get one now). It looks like it should have a better sensor while the improvements in AF would be night and day.

But lately I thought about what kind of pictures I'm taking, how many of them benefit from a Full Frame camera, how much I like my M50 since I've bought it and in the end, I decided not to buy either the EOS R nor the R6.

During the last two years, I bought a few lenses for the M system and I now have a pretty nice collection. The M50 and all of these lenses (6 in total) cost me less than my 6D and 24-105 L kit in 2012. Even if Canon completely stops the development of the M line, I have more than enough gear to take great pictures and have fun doing it for a few decades, so I'm not worried about that. The EF-M 32mm and sigma 56 finished to convince me. I'll probably add another M camera in the future, either the rumored high end model or, if it never comes out, the M6 mark II, because the compact size of these cameras makes it easy to take two of them with you when hiking. I'd like to do this as I always found that changing lenses when hiking was uncomfortable, but didn't want to carry two heavy Full Frame cameras for hours.

To sum up, the only times I feel the need for an R or an R6 is when I read forums on the internet. When I'm actually taking pictures, my M50 is a joy to use and has far more features than I'll ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by Tounis View Post
    This sentence pretty much sums up what I think about these new cameras.
    I agree....to some extent.

If my 5DMKIV or 5DS-r could be updated to match the AF tracking of these new R cameras then I would not even consider them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Eade View Post
    I agree....to some extent.

If my 5DMKIV or 5DS-r could be updated to match the AF tracking of these new R cameras then I would not even consider them!!!
    Oh and if I were into bird photography I would completely agree with you ! I just feel I don't need such an impressive AF. But that's just me.
    Last edited by Tounis; 07-14-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tounis View Post
    Oh and if I were into bird photography I would completely agree with you ! I just feel I don't need such an impressive AF. But that's just me.
    Better bring a big lens if photographing birds using full frame. Crop sensors are better for the guy without big whites.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Throgmartin View Post
    Better bring a big lens if photographing birds using full frame. Crop sensors are better for the guy without big whites.

Dave
    So, I have wondered if this says something about the future of crop sensor cameras, but....

An EOL (Rick Sammon) talking about the R6 and the new RF 600 mm f/11 and RF 800 mm f/11.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mfqryFqBw

Not "L"....not aimed at the professional crowd, but a pair of <$1000 "super tele" lenses for the masses.