Thread: Memory speed required for 7D

Memory speed required for 7D

Hi,

Does anyone know what memory speed (30MB/s, 45MB/s, 60MB/s, 90MB/s ?) would be sufficient to get full use from the 7D?

Thanks,

Lou

Re: Memory speed required for 7D

Hi Lou,

Welcome to the best Canon forum! A lot of these folks really know their stuff starting with Bryan, who runs the site. It has been my go-to information home since I went digital.

I feel your pain. I had the same question with my 50D, and let me tell you in case you have not been there yet -- forget Canon Tech.

[:@]![:@]![:@]! THEY ARE USELESS! [:@]![:@]![:@]!

The man who helped guide me is Chuck Westfall. He was able to guide me, sending me a personal reply as well as using my query for one of his monthly "Tech Tips". Here is a link to his page which has his e-mail link:

http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0903/tech-tips.html

Sorry I do not know how to make it hot, you will have to cut and paste. He will help you however he can. Good luck, I hope this information will help you.

Regards,

Chris

Re: Memory speed required for 7D

On the 7D review page, there is a link to the manual.

It says:

For movies, you want 8MB/s.

For stills while shooting movies, you want UDMA 8MB/s.

For normal shots, it mentions no recommended speed. You can use any Type I or II CF card, if you're patient enough. The internal memory will hold a few (6) shots while writing to the CF card. The speed of your card will just limit how quickly you can take more shots. Large RAW+JPEG runs you 25.1+6.6MB per image. That's up to 31.7MB per image. To maintain the 8fps burst rate, you'd need a speed of 253.6MB/s.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L