Thread: Landscape Lenses

Landscape Lenses

Re: Today's list of landscape lenses, I would also throw in the Tokina 11-16 2.8. Love this lens (I have the first version), and wish I had more reason to use it. Really debating what to do with it now that I have a full frame camera. It's still useable at 16mm, so I might just hang onto it.

By far my favorite landscape lens is the 24mm f3.5L TS. It requires time and discipline, but the flexibility and results can't be easily matched. I tend to use HDR and pano techniques with this lens, so needing a shorter focal length is not an issue. Combined w the 70-200 f2.8L II, I can capture all the focal length range needed. If I'm rushed, I substitute the 16-35 2.8L II for the TS and I can work faster and still cover most subjects (minus the perspective control possible w the TS). Here are some examples of vertical stiched HDR panos w the 24 TS:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnowOnMoss.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	1808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CanyonLandsPano_DruidArch_6_PS_lowres.JPG 
Views:	198 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	1809

I shot the Druid arch scene w the 16-35 at the same time and have to say that the TS rendered the scene much mere effectively since I shifted it up to keep the arch standing straight rather than leaning back. The disadvantage of the HDR/pano approach is the loss of detail in the vegetation due to it being a very windy day. I have considered adding the 24-105 f4L IS so I have a good walking around landscape lens - the TS is really best suited to a tripod.

Vern, beautiful shots. Thanks for posting those. You were a long way from home on those Canyonland shots. Fun place to visit, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by shutterdown View Post
    Vern, beautiful shots. Thanks for posting those. You were a long way from home on those Canyonland shots. Fun place to visit, isn't it?
    Thanks - still much to learn in the post capture processing so appreciate the feedback. Can't wait to get back to the Needles District - visited early March last year. I think the snow added a lot to the landscapes, though it was a bit cold in the tent at night.