Thread: Eyes Wide Open

Eyes Wide Open

I've found with the 400mm f5.6 that the hardest part about getting BIF shots is finding the bird in the viewfinder. It's like looking through the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels; the FOV is tiny. So I've been experimenting with tracking with both eyes open. With the 5D MkIII in expanded point mode, I get a circle in the center of the VF. With both eyes open, that circle appears to be floating way out in front of the camera. Since I have both eyes open, I can see the bird and move the circle onto it, and then the bird appears in the VF. I close my left eye and focus/shoot as normal. It took a little practice, but I've become quite proficient at it. Maybe everyone does this and I'm just waking up to the idea?
    Mark - Flickr

Well, there are many reasons to keep an eye on what's going on outside the frame and I've gotten used to keep both eyes open most of the time. For some types of shooting this is a must, but if exact framing is essential I find it easier to close the other eye. I don't know if "everyone" does this but I'm sure it's quite common.

I agree. When I actually go to take the shot, I need to close my left eye to frame properly.
    Mark - Flickr

Definitely helpful. It also helps in a situation when something is moving towards you, and you may have to move at one point for your own safety. Like animals, athletes, cars, or trains coming towards you. Estimating the distance through the viewfinder can be difficult.

101 _MG_8592 by ahab1372, on Flickr
    Arnt

I hope the gulls have their eyes open.
    Mark - Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
    I've found with the 400mm f5.6 that the hardest part about getting BIF shots is finding the bird in the viewfinder. It's like looking through the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels; the FOV is tiny. So I've been experimenting with tracking with both eyes open. With the 5D MkIII in expanded point mode, I get a circle in the center of the VF. With both eyes open, that circle appears to be floating way out in front of the camera. Since I have both eyes open, I can see the bird and move the circle onto it, and then the bird appears in the VF. I close my left eye and focus/shoot as normal. It took a little practice, but I've become quite proficient at it. Maybe everyone does this and I'm just waking up to the idea?
    You may have already done this but.....when I first got a supertele lens (500mm) I spent a fair amount of time practicing. I would pick out a small object visually then quickly raise the camera and lens to my eye to see if I could immediately see that object in the viewfinder. If you do this repeatedly it won't be long before you get a good instinct for it and will be able to point your lens at a bird and get it in the viewfinder almost every time.

I do practice. Luckily I have a couple dozen turkey vultures living in the trees behind my house. Every afternoon they sail around my yard putting on quite the ballet. I go out and practice tracking them as they swoop close to my house.

This shot was badly underexposed due to fading light and heavy overcast, but it isn't cropped much except to bring it into 4:3 format. I was able to rescue it somewhat in PS.

Mark - Flickr