Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L question

Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L question

I'm considering purchasing this lens to replace my Canon EF 28-135 lens. I've found that this lens has been around for 7 years now. I'm wondering, if this lens is aging now and should I wait for a MKII? I'm also concerned that the MKII will be much more as recent lens releases from Canon have gone up in price.

I have a 40D that I'm attempting to sell and want to either purchase the 60D or 7D. I'm not planning moving to a FF body as they cost too much for me and I'd rather spending the money on glass.

Any insight, advise, etc would be appreciated. Thank you!

Edit (added my lenses):
    Canon 10-22
    Canon 70-300
    Canon 50 1.8
    Canon 28-135
    Last edited by Photog82; 03-09-2012 at 03:48 PM.
    --

Since you are going from a Kit lens would this be your first lens upgrade? If so I think there are better choices since you are not going full frame, such as the EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=CA175528IS&N=0

I think it will be a few years before you see a 24-105mm II. Canon is using it as a kit lens for the new 5D III, I would think if they were going to replace it they would have done it in advance of the 5D III release. Most likely it will jump in price like the 24-70mm did.

I think the 24-105mm f/4L IS is an excellent lens - the ideal general purpose zoom for full frame, but a nice outdoor walkaround lens on APS-C as long as you don't mind that it normal-to-tele and lacks the wide angle focal lengths (pr maybe you have an APS-C ultrawide zoom to cover that). I do agre with Rick that the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is the best general purpose zoom for APS-C.

I'd not wait for a MkII of the 24-105 - the current lens is the kit lens for the 5DIII, meaning it's likely to be around in it's current form for some time, and a new version will certainly be a lot more expensive if Canon's recent trends are any sort of guide.

You might consider buying a resold new copy - especially with the 5DIII coming out, a lot of people who buy a 5-series body buy the 24-105mm lens too, and sell it new in the white box. The lens adds $800 to the kit price, so they're commonly sold for ~$900.

I updated my original post with my current lenses. I think the 17-55 is too short on the long end for what I'd use my "walk around lens" for. I generally like to use the 28-135 for sunsets, zooming out (and if that's not enough I use the 10-22) and then zooming in on interesting areas. I also use it for certain landscape shots as well, it varies as I swap between the 10-22 and 28-135.
    --

As long as you don't mind switching lenses, the 10-22 + 24-105 is a nice combo - great IQ and lots of versatility.

have the 24-105. Use it on both 5Dii and 7D. I find it works very nicely on 7D, which takes advantage of the centre of the image circle. Biggest drawback is f4 limit. 24-70(v1 or 2) would fit nicely in with your other lenses if you think that f2.8 is an advantage for your intended usage. Otherwise it sounds like there aren't going to be too many other options that will meet your stated needs.

I'm going to wait for the snow to melt here in Maine before I rent the lens, just to give it a good test but I am leaning towards it. You all have some good points on the lens being paired with the 5D MKIII.

I was more curious if the lens is showing it's age- it sounds like an odd question but I've never used it before. I'd love to buy the lens @ $800 new.
    --

If you're happy with that focal length range on a crop body, then the 24-105 is the best choice. If you could make do with a shorter focal length and slower f-number, the 15-85 would be a great option -- I would guess that it has noticeably higher contrast and resolution than the 24-105 (which is already very sharp).

It's possible that a new 24-105 could come out any day now, or it might be another 5 years. Nobody knows so I just don't worry about it. One safe bet, though, is that it will cost a whole lot more, as you suspect.

How about you find a buddy or someone on the forum that is upgrading that wouldn't mind buying it with a kit lens and re selling it. There seems to be a few people pre ordering the 5D III.

Personally though I am a little negative toward the 24-105mm. When I had my 50D I bought the 24-105mm to upgrade from the 28-135mm, I returned it after about four days and got the 24-70mm instead. Indoor performance at F4 was lacking and I really wanted the F/2.8. Then again after I bought my primes I wasn't happy with the 24-70mm so maybe I can't be pleased. If you had the cash and could make the stretch the new 24-70mm II might just be the ultimate. The charts for the lens are showing that it will have incredible IQ, possibly very close to what we get out of the L primes now.

I'd have to test the 24-70; it does seem to be an excellent lens and am looking forward to reviews however it's currently out of my price range. I also like the extra reach of the 105.

I suppose I could also rent the 24-70 I and see how it works out but I like that extra reach for sunrises/sunsets. I'm basically looking for a lens with better IQ/build quality than what I have now that is close to the focal range.
    --