Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rectangular Filter Reviews

Rectangular Filter Reviews

I recently bought the Cokin Z-Pro system with a couple of their grad ND Filters. I'll probably be buying some solid rectangular ND filters soon and have read that there is a sentiment that Cokin filters may not be as good as Lee, Hitech or Sing Ray. Does anyone know of a good source for reviews of the different types of filters? Does anyone recommend one brand over the others?

Thanks,
    Brant

Brant

When I went to Yellowstone we had the ND discussion and you gave good advice. I ended up with with a combination of several types. I wasn't able to get a holder and I ended up handholding the graduated ND's, I actually found this to be very easy especially when using the 4x6 filter in conjunction with a B&W ND or Polarizer.

I bought 4 of the Sing Ray 4 x 6 filters, 2 graduated and 2 ND. I also bought the 110E and 103E ND B&W filters, and a Cokin P set. The Cokin filters just felt cheaper than the Sing Ray (and believe me they literally were). I sent the Cokin stuff back and kept the Sing Ray.

I used the graduated Sing Ray's daily all hand held.

The Sing Ray performed great and I was well pleased with them. I know if you go with Sing Ray you will be pleased, your pocket book will not be pleased, but you probably will.

I didn't use the Sing Ray ND filters much, because with the screw on B&W's you get to keep your lens hood on. I felt like this was an advantage. There were times I hand held the graduated in front of the screwed in ND's and it worked great.

The problem I see with using the holder is the circular polarizer. I suppose to go full rectangular a guy needs the drop in polarizer as well, I am just not sure if the drop in polarizers on the market will be as good as the B&W one I have now. Have you looked at these yet?

I did finally get a holder a few months back, none were available for a while.

Rick
    Last edited by HDNitehawk; 02-08-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the response. I've only started evaluating the drop in polarizers. That is one of the items I was hope to find a few online reviews to help me evaluate. I assume that there are good ones as Darwin Wigget talks about using one in this video comparing the Lee vs Cokin Z-Pro Holders: http://darwinwiggett.wordpress.com/2...-z-pro-holder/.

Right now I am planning on keeping my screw-in B+W polarizers as I often screw them in and walk around all day with them on the front of my lens and I see the Z-Pro system more of something for when I am taking the time to set up a shot. So, this is really about the solid and grad ND filters. I'll probably bring in a few high end filters and try them out.

Thanks,
    Brant

I have heard good things about HiTech Filters too. They are cheaper than the other brands but do not have the color cast that the Cokin filters do. I purchased a 3 stop hard and 3 stop graduated to see what they were like and was pretty impressed. I used them hand held the couple times I have tried them since I don't have a filter holder and they don't have any scratches yet. I like them and will probably buy more when I have more dedication to landscape photography. If you had not spent the big bucks on the Sing Ray or Lee Filters, you might give them a try.

So, earlier this morning I ordered a Singh Ray 2-stop grad ND 4x6, a 3 stop solid HiTech 4x4 and a used (rated 9) 72 mm screw in B+W 106 (6 stop). The only direct comparison I'll be able to make is between the Singh Ray and cokin 2 stop grads. But I should get an impression of the general quality of the others.

Brant: I would be interested to hear your thoughts of the Z Cokin vs. the Singh-Ray after you have a chance to look them over. When I bought mine it was the Cokin P series I bought, you could see the difference in quality just holding the product in your hand.

Rick

Rick...will do. I should have them Monday...but I am hoping for a surprise and receiving them tomorrow as I am headed out on Saturday to shoot....

BTW...I found these reviews of some HiTech filters....
    http://www.dannylintonphotography.co...egory/reviews/

....these are not reviews of rectangular filters, but perhaps the best review of UV filters I have seen to date....

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article...ters_test.html

The top three ranked UV filters were all variations of the Hoya HMC or Pro MC. The B+W MRC does well, but comes in fourth. This is almost entirely because the Hoya HMC/Pro MC does a better job at blocking UV radiation, and these are UV filters. However, the B+W actually does a little better (~1%) on letting light in the visible spectrum pass through the filter. Given that I use the filters as physical protection, I personally am probably more concerned about the transmittance of visible light. But it seems that Hoya HMC or B+W MRC are all very good filters and very good options. Interestingly, this really shows the variation within brands.

(borrowed from a post on CR)
    Last edited by Kayaker72; 02-23-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    ....these are not reviews of rectangular filters, but perhaps the best review of UV filters I have seen to date....

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article...ters_test.html

(borrowed from a post on CR)
    That is a great reference for filters. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Setters View Post
    That is a great reference for filters. Thanks for the link!

I've been searching the website and they have a few more articles on filters:
    http://www.lenstip.com/120.1-article...upplement.html
    http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...ters_test.html
    http://www.lenstip.com/119.1-article...upplement.html