Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mac vs Windows recent experiences

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker72 View Post
    That is the debate. I read a couple of reviews of people with D810s that were happy with the 256 GB. Maybe I'll jump to the 500 GB. But I do travel with a 2 TB hardrive. Also, this is not meant to be my main processing machine. That is my desktop at home. I will likely be upgrading my monitor at some point to that as well.
    I didn't need the extra hard drive on the last trip, but with 9 days of shooting ,with the 5Ds R for five days and the 1D IV for 4, of 512gb I had 50gb of space left when I got home. For the last few years I have been traveling with the external, but it is nice to have all the pictures on one machine so you can easily edit while sitting at the airport, on the plane or wherever. You can do it with the external to, but IMO it makes it just a bit more cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEccleston View Post
    and to have well functioning input.
    David, this is the big thing I see is missing with the new Mac. I doubt it is a hardware problem, probably the latest OS. Tonight I may see if there are any upgrades or fixes to the OS, if not I am going to take it back to the store and have them check it out.

As far as Dell, I have to go with Kayker's last post and his comment about specific machines. I have yet to have a great Dell experience.

I've been considering the idea of purchasing a refurb MacPro tower (since most of my processing s done at home) and keep my MacBook Pro for travel

http://www.macs4u.com/mac-pro-2-4-gh...ktop-computer/

Joel,

I have a MacPro that I bought before the laptop. I guess it is about 7 years old now.
    I do not process on it anymore, I upgraded all the hard drives to 2tb and I use it as the server for the house.
    When any of the Mac's are on I can access them either through the router or the wireless and the tower gives me about 6tb of free storage to use.
    I can save to any of the hard drives from my laptop or download from the tower or external that is attached to airport.
    While it is to slow to download massive files wireless, it is convenient if you want to grab one specific picture in your archive.
    Anymore I do all my pp on a laptop sitting in the lazyboy in the front room.

The tower will not gain you any significant speed over the the high end laptops. It will make file storage a convenience. The internal hard drives are plug and play and easy to change out I have several that I loaded with info and stored away.

It is an excellent idea if you need a server type machine.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    David, this is the big thing I see is missing with the new Mac.
    I *do* have two input issues with Apple.

One applies to all their computers... The "natural scrolling", aka backwards scrollwheel. Thankfully, is really easy to turn off. It's only natural if you are using a touch device, and imagine that you're pushing paper around. Scrolling a wheel down should scroll down the screen.

The other issue is the magic mouse. My iMac came with it, and I can't stand it. Every time I grab the mouse it imagines that I've swiped it somehow. If it was less sensitive, it may be okay. It also doesn't like Eneloops. After looking online, I see Eneloops are slightly smaller than normal batteries, and a paper shim in the battery compartment is required to make the Magic Mouse work. After that, it would drain the batteries every couple of days. It was so infuriating that I took my old wired mouse from my old PC and I'm using that.

Their touchpad though, it's nice. I haven't tried their newer force-touch pads, so I can't comment on those.
    On Flickr - Namethatnobodyelsetook on Flickr
    R8 | R7 | 7DII | 10-18mm STM | 24-70mm f/4L | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | RF 100-500mm f/4-5-7.1L

I chose Mac...They tend to actually last longer.
    During the 5-year period of time the 2006 MBP was my main personal laptop, I went through a total of six work-provided Compaq/HP Windows laptops...one broken from a fall (that a MagSafe power connector would have prevented), three just flat out died (motherboard failure, HDD failure, etc.), only one made it to the 3-year corporate EOL policy. Of those 6 Win laptops with a standard corporate build, only the last two were similar in spec to the older Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist View Post
    During the 5-year period of time the 2006 MBP was my main personal laptop, I went through a total of six work-provided Compaq/HP Windows laptops...one broken from a fall (that a MagSafe power connector would have prevented), three just flat out died (motherboard failure, HDD failure, etc.), only one made it to the 3-year corporate EOL policy. Of those 6 Win laptops with a standard corporate build, only the last two were similar in spec to the older Mac.
    My old MacBook pro has lasted since 09, it had one backlighting issue and a software issue in that time frame. It still works. I am on my second Dell at work.

But then I still personally use the iPhone 3gs and last year the case had worn out and I dropped it and got a very small crack in the corner of the screen. I think 6 or 7 years that is very good durability. I also carry an iPhone 6 for work. Three times in the last few months I have had to replace the screen. The iPhone 6 is puny. So we can discuss reliability of the machines a few years ago and they have proven themselves IMO. The question for me today is how about the quality today and the MacBook Pro I just bought?

The other issue is the magic mouse.
    I used the Apple mouse for a few months when I bought my first machine. It was a joke. In 9 years I have bought several iMac's and have several unused mice and keyboards stored somewhere in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by HDNitehawk View Post
    The question for me today is how about the quality today and the MacBook Pro I just bought?
    Well, I'll let you know my opinion on that...if and when I need to replace my current (but 5 years old) model.

Actually, I did have a company provided 2014 MBAir that worked nearly flawlessly (the only issues were software related and specific to the security interactions with the corporate network environment).

I am currently running following combination on my windows 10. MSI 970 gaming motherboard with 8core amd 4.2 prosessor, 32gb memory, ssd for windows and software and 2tb hdd for everything else and amd radeon r9 series display adapter. Only thing that i have to nag is that when in development mode on LR the images load up bit slow (ok over 2seconds per image but still) so might actually get another ssd for the developmen use and then save to hdd.

With windows system in use naturally would looove the retina views from mac but have coped that with pretty awesome monitor Asus 27" MG279Q IPS can highly recommend, image quality is pretty darn good.

I would love to get myself the microsoft surface book, just not available in finland....that would fill all my traveling needs for editing and posting pictures.