Thread: Beginner portraits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'll offer my input on the 4 pictures you've posted. White balance seems to be a consistent issue for you. The first photo is too green, for sure. Shooting RAW is the easiest way to correct odd white balances in post, but just because it's a JPEG does not mean it's beyond saving. Below is how I have altered the colour balance using Photoshop, the difference should be quite striking. Sometimes you'll want a portrait to have a cool white balance if you're trying to convey a particular mood, but very rarely will you want a green portrait. If you want me to go through the Photoshop adjustments in more detail, let me know.

Original

Edited

Quote Originally Posted by w349 View Post
    I'll offer my input on the 4 pictures you've posted. White balance seems to be a consistent issue for you. The first photo is too green, for sure. Shooting RAW is the easiest way to correct odd white balances in post, but just because it's a JPEG does not mean it's beyond saving. Below is how I have altered the colour balance using Photoshop, the difference should be quite striking. Sometimes you'll want a portrait to have a cool white balance if you're trying to convey a particular mood, but very rarely will you want a green portrait. If you want me to go through the Photoshop adjustments in more detail, let me know.
    oh wow thanks, that is a big difference. I think the green color of that picture might be from the lighting. It was a rainy and gloomy day and the only light I was using was from a sliding door window. I do shoot in JPEG. I guess I will switch to RAW.

Also another question what is DPP?

would this picture be a good example of catchlighting in the eyes?

I know this picture isn't great because his head is cut off.
    Last edited by FM1981; 07-10-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FM1981 View Post
    Also another question what is DPP?
    Digital Photo Profesional; this software came with your camera. It is from Canon.