Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70-200 Mark II - I've Gone & Done It!

70-200 Mark II - I've Gone & Done It!

I've pulled the trigger on this bad boyandI'm in love with the output. The Mark I was great but the Mark II issimply amazing.

BUT, Ihave a concernabout the IS on this puppy:

I was taking some photos today in fairly good lighting, thethe IS when *winding up/down* would make a louder than normal buzz. I mean, typically it's a low buzz/hum, but this caught me off guard. Yes the lens was still capable of stabilising and achieve focuslock BUT the sound has me worried. It only happened a couple of times today. I flipped the switches from 1.2 to 2.5 and back again to no avail. I then decided to power cycle the camera and the loud buzz is no longer present.

I'll be heading out on vacation in about a month and the lens is less than a week old and the last thing I need is to possibly have the IS *jam* up in the middle of a photo shoot!

Suggestions/comments are more than welcome.....

Thanks
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Re: 70-200 Mark II - I've Gone & Done It!

1.2/2.5 is focus distance, not IS, so I don't know if there could be a relation there.

Suggestions? You can send it to Canon for a problem that no longer exists in the hope they find the problem if/when they disassemble it, but you might get it back no-problem-found (and after-you-leave). Or you can hang onto it and send it to Canon if/when it acts up in a manner that you can't coax away. Unfortunately it's your call.
    We're a Canon/Profoto family: five cameras, sixteen lenses, fifteen Profoto lights, too many modifiers.

I don't know how much louder than normal it was... mine has some variation: sometimes it gets a bit louder. Does "louder than normal" mean much louder than the mk 1?

I don't really know, but my gut reaction is... relax, man Enjoy your awesome new lens!

Quote Originally Posted by peety3
    <div style="margin-bottom: 14pt;"]1.2/2.5 is focus distance, not IS, so I don't know if there could be a relation there.</div>
    <div style="margin-bottom: 14pt;"]Suggestions? You can send it to Canon for a problem that no longer exists in the hope they find the problem if/when they disassemble it, but you might get it back no-problem-found (and after-you-leave). Or you can hang onto it and send it to Canon if/when it acts up in a manner that you can't coax away. Unfortunately it's your call.</div>

Yeah, just thought I would test the waters...maybe I should head back over to Henry's for an exchange just to be on the safe side, I just hate returning/exchanging items if not necessary!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Ruyle

I don't know how much louder than normal it was... mine has some variation: sometimes it gets a bit louder. Does "louder than normal" mean much louder than the mk 1?

I don't really know, but my gut reaction is... relax, man Enjoy your awesome new lens!

LOL, your gut maybe right, I'll try to recreate the problem, but I guess a slight variation in sound is ok from time to time, at least I'll know it's functioning...[:P]...but since the lens is less than a week old, I'll play it safe and return for an exchange as mentioned above.

LOL...now I'm sounding like a *drama queen*...thanks for the suggestions!
    Canon 450D Gripped, Canon 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II, Sigma 10-20 EX f/4-5.6, Canon S95

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.” -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by elmo_2006
    LOL...now I'm sounding like a *drama queen*...thanks for the suggestions!

You sound kinda like I do when I get something new

Update...

I've exchanged the lens at Henry's and this one is quiet than ever, wow, but now I find thatmy XSisometimes cannot obtain focus lock. I was out in the yard at around 3:00pm, lots of sun and heat and I was snapping up photos of flowers, but sometimes the camera would not obtain focus lock on anything - talk about a crap shoot!

Talk about bad luck. I then quickly attached the 24-105 and had no issues with focus lock.

The current setup...Av, spot, AI Focus, Auto ISO, center focus.

It can't be the lens, not twice in a row! I think I want my original lens back.

Anyone with ideas, as I'm close to reverting to the *fetal position*!

but sometimes the camera would not obtain focus lock on anything

Were you inside of the minimum focusing distance by any chance?

Tom

Hi Tom...

No I was not, most of the times however; I was trying to capture the subject on the long end of the zoom.

This is very frustrating...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wertman
    Were you inside of the minimum focusing distance by any chance?
    <div>

No I was not
    </div>

Tom's question occurred to me also, so I'll ask a follow up - were your subjects closer than the distance set by the focus limiter? Thereis afocus limiter switch with settings of 1.2m - &infin; and 2.5m - &infin;. So, if the switch was in the 2.5m- &infin; position you would not be able to AF on anything closer than 2.5m, even though the MFD for the lens is 1.2m.

Hi Neuro...

The switch was set to 1.2 and the subject was more than 2.5m away.

I performed some basic tests and the lens is neither front/back focusing. With the original lens I was able to zoom in and obtain lock on a vine leaf, with this lens, it's having a hard time obtaining lock. I have to constantly keep pressing the button to find lock.

Could this be camera body related or lens or both? The 24-105 does not exhibit this issue.