Quote Originally Posted by peety3 View Post
I'll reply "immediately" with a twist worth mentioning. Last year, when the cruise visited Tracy Arm, we opted for the $200pp excursion that allows 150 people to board a "small" boat right off the cruise ship and go further into Tracy Arm, allowing some spectacular glacier viewing that was second to none. I suspect we'd be booking this cruise too late to get tickets for that excursion in August, but if we do I have a thought: the aft corners of the small boat on the lower deck are normally off-limits to passengers, but I'm tempted to contact the tour operator ahead of time to see if I could clamp a camera to the railing as low as possible and put it on a timer remote and/or remotely trigger it with a PW Multimax. If so, I'm thinking of renting a 17mm tilt-shift and "blindly" aiming it in the 7 o'clock direction and shifted up so I can get the most majestic shot of the cruise ship, as well as glacier shots if/when the boat was pointed in the right direction. Would the 5Ds[R] be good here, or would the potential vibration of the ship's engines negate the benefit of MEGA pixels?
Well....a couple of things to consider.

1) If the boat is moving up and down significantly, the smaller pixel pitch of the 5Ds / 5Ds R may mean that you need a faster shutter speed (and higher ISO) to keep image blur to a minimum.

2) The TS-E 17mm f/4L is not weather sealed. None of Canon's tilt-shift lenses are. If the camera and lens will be subject to sea spray at that location, I'd consider a different lens. Of course, sea spray sticking to the lens element would be a concern with any lens as it would certainly impact image quality.