Thread: Digitizing Paintings

Digitizing Paintings

Hello,

I have an oddball question. I've received a few recent inquiries about digitizing artwork such as paintings. I'm guessing a scanner would be the best way to do that, but I have a camera, not a huge scanner. Is there a certain way to go about this so that the photos will look spot on as to what the original painting looks like? I downloaded a huge PDF but the information in that document is wayyy over my head.

I've done something like this once already for a friend for free with good results. For that, I lit the pieces with two strobes and umbrellas. Now that I've got an opportunity to do this for some cash, I'm wondering if there is a better way. Some results from the first time are shown below.

Thanks for ay suggestions/help!

All artwork is copyright of Rachel Fitzgerald.

Re: Digitizing Paintings

Obviously, a better crop and straight on angle for the third one would have helped. Oops. :/

I recently shot paintings by children for a health care firm here. I did it with two 580EXII in two Eclipse 60" umbrellas. I positioned them even distances on the left and right. I took a couple test shots and moved the lights accordingly so that there was not glare. I shot it with 5DmkII ISO 100 with my 35 1.4 @ 5.6. I think the strobes were either at 1/8 of 1/4. I didn't use a polarizer but that would probably be a good idea too.

Definitely use your sharpest lens and something near normal perspective and as large of light sources you can.

Good deal, Thanks Keith!

Quote Originally Posted by Rodger

Good deal, Thanks Keith!

No problem. Forgot to mention your shots look good. You may not have to do anything different if they look like the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith B
    No problem. Forgot to mention your shots look good. You may not have to do anything different if they look like the originals

Yours look(ed?) great! haha did I imagine that it was there 25 minutes ago? Or is my internet bad? Or have I finally lost it?? Or, all three...

Thanks! I took it down after I thought about it. It was shot for a big and important (to me) client that I would never ever want to upset. Since it is the artwork of child with a terminal parent, I started to feel wrong about posting it.

Ahh I see. That's very legit.