Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry folks but the usual VS. Canon EOS 1D Mark III VS 5D MKI VS Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II vs Canon EOS 1D Mark II N vs the like ?

Sorry folks but the usual VS. Canon EOS 1D Mark III VS 5D MKI VS Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II vs Canon EOS 1D Mark II N vs the like ?

I want the one that will offer better image overall despite the crop/full frame issue. i consider the 5d very nice,but i want sadly,more. i want the build quality of the 1d series,but i dont want to downgrade image quality,if thats possible with these guys. i appreciate all of your help, plus i cant afford the newer models,hence these options.

Re: Sorry folks but the usual VS. Canon EOS 1D Mark III VS 5D MKI VS Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II vs ?

in my own answer i think ill go with the 1ds mkii or if possible mkiii and stay with full frame! if i did go towards the cropped it isnt to bad at 1.3, so at this point i might consider whichever is the lower alternative but offers the same differences,dual slot,faster af,more af points etc.

Re: Sorry folks but the usual VS. Canon EOS 1D Mark III VS 5D MKI VS Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II vs ?

For what those two 1 series sell for used, you would almost have enough to buy a new 5D MarkII. To me that would make more sense.

hmm that is true, but i am hoping to stay low using my usual source of ebay lol! that sounds very tempting though,but my income will not allow that yet. technically i could sell my beloved 35mm 1.4 L to get the 5dmk2 but i cannot bring myself for such a loss! if i did go the crop way my lens would be about 45mm but i still would have the awesomeness it offers,plus the size as compared to longer lenses allows for easier access!

(:

Re: Sorry folks but the usual VS. Canon EOS 1D Mark III VS 5D MKI VS Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II vs Canon EOS 1D Mark II N vs the like ?

Quote Originally Posted by GarzaCapitalist
    i want the build quality of the 1d series,but i dont want to downgrade image quality

I hardly doubt you will have a noticeable upgrade in image-quality when buying another body. The build-quality issue that you mention also doesn't make alot of sense to me. Your 5D has a very nice build-quality, although it isn't weathersealed nor it has the sensor anti-dust system of the newer camera's.But your lens isn't weathersealed either to take advantage of a better build-quality.

As much as I like to have a 1 series body.(I tried the 1D4 at the store) I really doubt it would make my images any better. Better yet, last saturday I was photographing an artistic skating event and my girlfriend went along. I used my 5D2 and she used her XSi. Albeit my images looked smoother on ISO1600 than hers on ISO800, we were both capable on shooting the same kind of shots. And honestly you could only tell the difference when viewing at 100%.

Anyway what I'm trying to say: your camera and lens should be very capable of delivering the most beautiful images. A different camera could make a difference, but it would only be very small (and at a high cost: not justifiable). If there's something you don't like at the results that you get. Please tell uswhat it is and show us what's the problem. Perhaps something in your settings isn't right? What do you think of the two photos you posted here? Both are very different, so I guess you uploaded them with a purpose?

Point 2: I believe you have searched a long time to find a great lens with the focal length that you have now. The 35mm. If you would go to a 1D 1.3x body, you might as well start thinking about a lens-change....definitely not worth all the trouble []

I say: get out and start shooting and learn to use the sources that you have. If I never had the money to buy a 5D2, I would probably still be very happy with my first camera, the 450D/XSi []

Re: Sorry folks but the usual VS. Canon EOS 1D Mark III VS 5D MKI VS Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II vs Canon EOS 1D Mark II N vs the like ?

the images were to provide humor and entertainment to the readers. i saw a comparison recently from some famous online reviewers,and from my point of view they were sharp enough to notice! i understand i personally wont make better photos with better gear, but i just wanted to know how the more available focus points would turn out! the other stuff would come in very handy as well, sd and cf card use is pretty awesome, i have a tonne of s cards for the occasion! the build quality is preference but helpful nonetheless! i owned the elder 1ds mki 11.1 mp and the handling was pretty nice despite its weight difference,which is not a big deal,although portability is with me. the lens is very helpful when it comes to portability though! the photos above were shot with available light,hand held,indoors,and with shaky hands using high ISO! How would you rate these? also i think my 5D is not working up to par,can you tell if it is just by looking at my shots? im waiting for the gray card to come in so that i can calibrate it,but in the mean time, i feel as if something is at odds with my camera? i think overall though, i just dont have enough skill! i should probably practice more instead of buy,sell,sell,buy! seriously though how hard is it to shot fantastic photos like the ones you,and others on these forums post! i dont use any image enhancements simply because i dont have any,and i havent learned how! thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by GarzaCapitalist
    i just wanted to know how the more available focus points would turn out

Please take this as constructive criticism, but in all honesty it really seems to me that you have a difficult time nailing focus correctly with the 9 focus points that you have on your 5D, so I'm not sure that simply having more focus points is the answer here.

I have to assume that you have reasons for posting the shots that you choose to post. For example, this one:

Might I ask, what is the purpose for posting this one? You asked how we would rate them. Looking at this one, I'd suggest working on exposure, focus, lighting, and composition - i.e. nearly everything goes into taking a picture.

Some of the shots you've previously posted have been excellent. Many have been far short of that. Asking for others to critique your work is fine (and part of the purpose of these forums), but self-evaulation is the best place to start. It's hard for me to grasp why a series of blurry pictures prefaced with the statement, "My poor attempt at self portrait in low light no flash, hand held,and way to much coffee!," should be posted in a thread entitled, "Post Your Best Portrait Shots!" Do you honestly feel that those were your best? I have to say, I think you've done much better!

You seem to have a sincere desire to improve your photography that's wonderful! Posting images here and asking for critique can be a valuable part of that process, but only if you make it so. To me, the sheer volume of blurry and in my opinion frequently pointless images(i.e. posted with no clear purpose or explanation)makes it difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. Edit your shots (i.e. choose carefully), post ones you like, or ones where you want help, be specific about what you want, and that will make it easier to get useful feedback. For me at this point, it's like having a radio that's playing static - it's better just to tune it out...

Sorry for the blunt statements...but I felt they needed to be said. Feel free to follow my last statement, and just tune me out!

Dr.! Just the person I needed to hear from! My idea was that photography was ore than sharp photo

I agree with every word John just said.

And I will add this from myself: what's the point of spending all those thousands of dollars on equipment you can obviously not take advantage even a small fraction of?

My advise is (and don't take it as an insult, please): buy a book, learn basics of photography. Until you can tell a difference between focused and defocused, underexposed and overexposed, don't spend another dollar on more equipment. You will just go bankrupt if you continue to pursue a camera that will magically take better pictures for you. I bet, there is NOTHING wrong with the camera/lens that you already have. Just learn how to use them properly. Best way to do that is to switch to full manual mode and follow instructions from the photo-book that you've just learned.

And when you decide to post some of your photographs, be more organized and systematic. Post your EXIF data, let us know what you wanted to achieve, what you think your problem was, what you like and what you dislike in that photo (one photo at a time), so that we can help you understand your mistakes and guide you toward an improvement.