Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 100mm IS L Macro Hissing Noise ??

100mm IS L Macro Hissing Noise ??

I just got the new 100mm IS L Macro lens to pair up with the T2i. When I press the shutter half way down, in addition to autofocussing, the lens makes a hissing noise for a few seconds. This is probably the IS running. Then if I move it a little bit, there is another noise which is probably the lens trying to stabilize. Is this hissing noise normal? This is my first lens of this type so I do not know if this is normal. It takes great pictures but I am just learing how to use it.

Thanks -

Re: 100mm IS L Macro Hissing Noise ??

I don't know if I'd call it hissing, but mine makes a few noises.

But then, I don't really know if mine is normal

It's one of two options:

1) It is your IS working away and the noise is completely normal.

2) You have a snake in your hat. In which case I would suggest removing your hat.

Don't stress, sounds perfectly normal to me.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ben_taylor_au/ www.methodicallymuddled.wordpress.com
    Canon 5D Mark III | Canon 5D Mark II | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 35mm f/1.4L USM | Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM |Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II |Canon 2 x Teleconverter III | Canon 580 EX II Speedlite | Really Right Stuff TVC 34L | Really Right Stuff BH55 LR | Gorillapod Focus | Really Right Stuff BH 30

Sounds normal and if you're still worried try putting the IS off.

Take a photo at 1/30 of a second (or any shutterspeed which you normally couldn't get steady without IS). Keep the settings, push the IS back on, let it work (it takes like a second for it to work fully when half-press the shutter-button) and take the same picture. If it is significantly sharper, no motion blur, you'll know it's working properly.

But again, it sounds pretty normal []

If you're ultra-concerned and it's been less than 14 days just take it back to the store and claim DOA and you can get a new one.

But I think the snake might be the problem[]

I have tried turning off the IS and the sound does stop. But I did not know if this is typical. I have read where people said that the lens hummed a little. Hum, hiss, whatever. It is probably OK.

If this is your first L lens that has IS then you're probably not just used to the sound. A lot of the kit lenses that say they have "IS" is more superficial and you never see results from it. As well as some ISs' make more noise then others. Some of the older lenses with first gen IS make a loud whirring sound so a small hiss is quite quiet comparably.

Yes, it's normal. The sound of IS starting and stopping is more audible than the sound of it working, but you can hear both if you listen. The sound type and volume vary depending on the lens, and as Mike said the 'kit lens' IS systems are usually quieter (the IS system for a variable aperture f/3.5-5.6 lens needs to move a lot less glass than for a constant f/2.8 lens). As IS noise on high-end lenses goes, the 100mm L is pretty quiet. By comparison, the 300mm f/4L IS starts with a loud 'clunk' that you can hear and feel, and there's a continual and audible buzz as it works.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist
    As IS noise on high-end lenses goes, the 100mm L is pretty quiet.

Mine seems louder to me than the 24-105 f/4 (maybe, as you said, because it is slower). It's also louder than the 70-200 f/2.8 ii, but hey. That thing is very quiet.

I think the 100 IS is quieter than the 70-200 f/2.8 mark i.

Quote Originally Posted by neuroanatomist

300mm f/4L IS starts with a loud 'clunk' that you can hear and feel, and there's a continual and audible buzz as it works.
    <div style="clear: both;"]</div>

I love that lens! I want it! I just hope by the time I've got the money for it Canon may have overhauled it. We're 2 years shy of its 15th birthday! Personally I prefer a loud IS. Helps me make sure it's working. [:P]