Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading from XSI

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Upgrading from XSI

Let me start out by saying I'm debating if this is even worth pursuing. I own a XSI. I've begun to get a little deeper into photography. I know the best gear in the world doesn't make your picture any better than that of the photographers eye. With that said, two questions
    -is upgrading to a better camera worth the investment?
    -is it worth going 1.0x crop if I upgrade? (T3i vs 60D vs 5DIi)

The lens(es) you use are likely to have a much bigger impact than the camera. So, the general advice is to spend money on better lenses before upgrading the camera.

It also helps to know what you shoot. For example, comparing the T2i, T3i, 60D, and 7D, they all have the same sensor. There are other differences, of course, but if you primarily shoot landscapes from a tripod, those differences won't mean much to you. Likewise, if you want to shoot fast-paced action, I'd recommend the 7D over the 5DII, but for portraits, just the opposite.

There are other considerations, for example if you are shooting mostly landscapes but don't have a tripod, a good one will make more of a difference than a new camera or lens.

So...it might to know a bit more about what you like to shoot, and what else you're shooting with...

Hey Jfindley,

If you dont have the glass.... upgrading isnt going to do you much good. Just my opinion.

Personally, I have had an XSi and 50D for about 2-3 years now. I have considered on multiple occasions to upgrade the body, but then thought better of it and bought new and better lenses instead. I can honestly say that the glass has had much more impact on my work than a body would have.

A good question might be, what glass are you working with right now? Also, what are your pursuits as far as shooting goes? Those two questions might help us answer your question a bit better.

Dave.

haha... neuro you beat me to it!!!!

Drats!

Seems like alot of people considering upgrades lately...must be the time of year...

I agree with both Dave and John (Neuro); glass should be a primary concern for upgrades before the body. But to take a bit of a different point of view, if you don't find yourself limited by your body, then you probably don't need to upgrade yet. When you find there are specific things you are lacking with the XSi then you can better evaluate what you need in an upgrade. Ie. better AF would tend to lead to a 7D and better high iso generally leads to 5DII. Is there anything about the XSi that you find limiting?

For reference, I have an XSi that I have used for years (since introduction) and am only now upgrading (actually I just ordered a 7D two days ago). I got great use out of the XSi and bought several lenses before pulling the trigger on the 7d. But finally I got frustrated with the AF of the XSi when shooting anything that moves (ie. pets). I'm also looking forward to many other things as well (weathersealing, better iso/noise performance, better build, AFMA, etc, etc.) I considered the 5DII as well, but just couldn't justify the cost (especially since I would have to sell my EF-S lens and buy a different walk-around lens) considering I'm just a weekend shooter.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Good points all. 2x NFLD Stephen. I have a T3i and having a great time fooling around with the video capabilties. Glad I have the 3ti for the video capabilities and the same sensor as the 7D for still images. HOWEVER, AF is an issue, I say this for the purpose of pointing to the B&H deal on the 7D anounced a day or two ago. $1,500 w/ 18-135. Oooofff all the AF functions of the 7D and other nifty things hmmmmm.

My photo "concerns" right now are autofocus and glass - I have the 15-85, 50 1.8, and the 70-200 mkII. Image quality from the improved glass is just the jaw dropper. I suspect my next lense is going to be the 16-35 L, and i will "sneaker zoom" the 35 50 and 50-70 range for awhile.

I could solve the AF with a body change out from the T3i to the 7D. I most certainly will change out he 3Ti body in the reasonably near future, my growing investment in glass will dwarf the cost of the body change out. Canon seems to be moving alot of inventory - perhaps there is another body anouncement in the near future - the kits for the 5d and 7d seem to be flying fast and furious. (either that or they didn't sell much the last 11 months).
    If you see me with a wrench, call 911

Thanks all for the quick replies. Let me expand on my gear a little more.

70-200mm f4 L IS
    15-85 mm f3.5-5.6
    50 mm f1.8
    18-55 mm (kit lense)

I find that I do 98% of my shooting outdoors. And since I live in Seattle, water tightness is a concern. Basically I love my XSI, but I don't feel comfortable taking out when it's damp.

In that case, a 7D makes sense. But, you'd also probably need a wider sealed lens. Perhaps the 17-40mm or 24-105mm, depending on how wide you like to shoot (check your EXIF from the 15-85mm).

The 7D has the best sealing outside of the 1-series (rank order is 1-series >> 7D > 5DII = 50/60D).

Thanks neuro. This takes me back to the 1.0x vs 1.6x crop. Is the 7D better all around even though it's a 1.6 crop or does it jus seal better?

It really just depends on your needs. For shooting birds and other fast-moving subjects, the 7D will be better because it has better AF. For still subjects and shooting in low light where you need to bump up the ISO, the 5DII will be better.