Sorry ladies and gentlemen, but yes it's another should I or shouldn't I purchase post. My wife and I will be heading to the Seychelles in October. Now, this will be our second trip in two years and this time around I plan on having the corrrect gear to take photos. However; now I'm in a dilema as we willvisit a couple of the surrounding islands with one particular island called Bird Island. Bird Island is exactly what it is, an island populated by thousands of birds.

My gear consists of the following:

Canon Xsi

Sigma 10-20 EX 4-5.6

Canon 24-105 4L

Canon 50mm 'nifty-fifty'

Canon 70-200 2.8 IS USM (no longer being sold) and various other gear consisting of tripod and monopod...blah blah blah.

Here is my dilema, should I purchase the Canon 400 5.6L USM or do you think the 70-200 will be plenty enough? Yes there is no IS on the 400 which makes it less expensive that the 300 4L IS USM but the IQ is much greater due to it's simple design (LOL, the thing is at least20 years old in design).

I've thought of the 300 4L, but it seems that the extra 100mm may not cut it. Sorry no TC or extenders to be used here, hence the the Canon 400mm. I don't like the push-pull of the 100-400 either - besides spending over 1600 on the 100-400 to actually use it from 200-400 is a waste of money!

Oh yeah IQ is high on my list as well as taking photos of the birds in flight.

Opinions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated - my apologies for the verbal diareha.