Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What should my lens purchase be???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What should my lens purchase be???

Ok, now that I finally have my tripod/ballhead issue taken care of, I'm ready to "focus" on what my next lens purchase should be [:O]!
    I enjoy taking a variety of photos...macro, wildlife, landscapes, portraits and fast-action being my 3 dogs (blink and their gone) and toddler grandbabies.I live by LakeMichigan and am looking forward to taking pictures this spring/summer ofsunrises and our beautiful new marina (during the day & at night).

I am looking a few lenses as high possibilities ...
    CanonEF 70-200 f/2.8LIS
    Canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS
    Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L IS

Currently own ....

Canon Rebel T1i (hopefully moving to a a 7D or T2i soon)
    Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 1.4x II Extender
    Kenko extension tube set
    Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS& EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS [+o(]

Any suggestions on what lens to add next (Canon or good IQ non-Canon) greatly appreciated!

Denise

Re: What should my lens purchase be???

Hi Denise,

Cross the 24-105 off your list. It's built for a full-frame body and on a 1.6 FOVCF it's rather blah. If you don't shoot indoor sports you don't need the 70-200 f/2.8, the lighter, sharper and far less expensive 70-200 f/4IS is a great lens. the 17-55 may be your best bet. The 10-22 might be a nice choice for landscapes. I'd use your 100 macro for portraits, you don't need another portrait lens IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ddt0725
    Ok, now that I finally have my tripod/ballhead issue taken care of, I'm ready to "focus" on what my next lens purchase should be [img]/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]!

Only you can answer that. What is missing in your kit? I see only one hole: landscapes. And so, I'll recommend the 10-22 as the next lens. Now, if you buy that, a 7D, and a macro flash you'll have spend $2400 more on gear. If that's no problem for you, then fine, order it today. But I think you need to know your priorities. When you shoot with your current gear, what do you wish you had? Narrow it down from there. And remember that no gear will take good pictures. You take good pictures. Don't think "OK, what next to buy?". Think, I have a problem here. Is it me, my subjects, or the camera? Go from there. Know your priorities and you will end up spending a whole lot less money. Don't buy a tripod because others say you need one. Buy a tripod because you feel a genuine need for sharper photographs.

In this case, either 17-55 or a 10-22 makes sense from what I know about your needs, which is not much. Can you explain what you think you're missing in your kit?

brendan

I agree with Brendan, the thing I see missing most is the wide end. If you are looking at staying with 1.6 fovcf then the 10-22 would be a great addition to what you have now. 24-105 is a great general purpose lens (and a lens I almost cough up dough for yesterday) but it is better suited to a FF body. I am also currently a T1i user but I am looking to get the 5dmkII soon, just waiting to see if any new of a mkIII comes out. Out of curiosity, have you considered a FF? If not I am just curious as to why. Might help with my decision too.

Anyway my only other thought on what you should go with is - if you plan to stick to 1.6 then the 17-55 is awesome too and wide enough for most - that being said the 10-22 really is perfect for landscapes.

Clark

Quote Originally Posted by Superman

Out of curiosity, have you considered a FF? If not I am just curious as to why. Might help with my decision too.

Anyway my only other thought on what you should go with is - if you plan to stick to 1.6 then the 17-55 is awesome too and wide enough for most - that being said the 10-22 really is perfect for landscapes.

Clark
    <div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    Hi Clark,

I never really considered a FF, mostly due to price I guess. I'd rather spend the $$$ on lenses and accessories. I have a lot of suggestions here to look at so I have my researching cut out for me tonight! I have scratched the 24-105 off the list at least!

Thanks for your help,

Denise

Definitely look at FF. Now that you've sold your T1i a 5D2 makes a ton of sense. It may keep you from more glass, but Denise, I can really tell you you have a great kit and have chosen some very nice equipment that doesn't need much improvement. I think that you should go 1) 5D2 and then 2) wideangle zoom lens &ndash; 17-40l is very nice. But don't rush any purchases and take some more photos!

brendan

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Cross the 24-105 off your list. It's built for a full-frame body and on a 1.6 FOVCF it's rather blah. If you don't shoot indoor sports you don't need the 70-200 f/2.8, the lighter, sharper and far less expensive 70-200 f/4IS is a great lens. the 17-55 may be your best bet. The 10-22

Only you can answer that. What is missing in your kit? I see only one hole: landscapes. And so, I'll recommend the 10-22 as the next lens. Now, if you buy that, a 7D, and a macro flash you'll have spend $2400 more on gear. If that's no problem for you, then fine, order it today. But I think

In this case, either 17-55 or a 10-22 makes sense from what I know about your needs, which is not much. Can you explain what you think you're missing in your kit?

brendan

<div style="CLEAR: both"]</div>
    I think right now I am leaning toward the 17-55. I still have to check out the 10-22 (thanks for the info) and a few others suggestions I've been given. As far as what I feel I'm lacking currently ...my two lenses that came with my camera I'd like to replace with better IQ lenses. I guess looking at it more carefully, yes a nice landscape lens would be very beneficial.

BTW - I just sold my camera on ebay []! So, I have to decide between the 7D and waiting a month or so for the T2i! Not being a patient person ...a month without a camera is a LONG time...I feel withdrawal pains already! [:P]

Denise

In that case, don't get a lens, and buy a 5D Mark II. That's my suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by bburns223

Ok, now that I finally have my tripod/ballhead issue taken care of, I'm ready to "focus" on what my next lens purchase should be [img]/emoticons/emotion-3.gif[/img]!

Only you can answer that. What is missing in your kit? I see only one hole: landscapes. And so, I'll recommend the 10-22 as the next lens. Now, if you buy that, a 7D, and a macro flash you'll have spend $2400 more on gear. If that's no problem for you, then fine, order it today. But I think you need to know your priorities. When you shoot with your current gear, what do you wish you had? Narrow it down from there. And remember that no gear will take good pictures. You take good pictures. Don't think "OK, what next to buy?". Think, I have a problem here. Is it me, my subjects, or the camera? Go from there. Know your priorities and you will end up spending a whole lot less money. Don't buy a tripod because others say you need one. Buy a tripod because you feel a genuine need for sharper photographs.

brendan

#1 - I would never purchase anything I could not afford.
    #2 - If "no gear willtake good pictures", then why doesn't everyone just own the lowest end camera, a inexpensive lens and just pp the heck out of everything? And why doesn't Bryan just give up giving awesome reviews for us to make the best decisions possible? I'm sorry but I truly believe good gear helps make my crappy photos look less crappy!
    #3 - Why am I the only one that gets so kicked in the shins by you anytime I want to purchase ANYTHING? [:'(]

Maybe I will take crappy photos no matter what I purchase but I will still have fun doing it! [:P]

Cheers,

Denise

If "no gear willtake good pictures", then why doesn't everyone just own the lowest end camera, a inexpensive lens and just pp the heck out of everything? And why doesn't Bryan just give up giving awesome reviews for us to make the best decisions possible? I'm sorry but I truly believe good gear helps make my crappy photos look less crappy!

I will quote Nate from another post: "Beginners tend to think "my camera sucks, it gives crappy results, I wish I have a better camera so I can make better images"." Hey, maybe we're wrong, but I think it's a valuable viewpoint. I'm a beginner myself and that thinking has helped me. It's not that gear doesn't help, well, it's that maybe it isn't Jesus to your photography (I think I didn't say it very well in my previous post). That's the big debate: (http://community.the-digital-picture...7298.aspx#7298). Maybe that will explain. Remember, some of those posts in that thread are more relevant than others, many don't apply to you.

I certainly don't mean to kick you in the shins and I apologize if I come off that way. I am a bit overcautious, so take what I say with a (few) grain(s) of salt [pi]

Good Luck!

brendan

#3 - Why am I the only one that gets so kicked in the shins by you anytime I want to purchase ANYTHING?

Hi Denise! I'm certainly not one to 'kick in the shins' for purchasing additional gear...admittedly, I suffer from gear acquisition syndrome, lens lust, whatever you want to call it (5 lenses in 5 months, and probably my 6th next week). However, I think you certainly raised a few eyebrows by purchasing your first dSLR body in December and selling it to purchase a new body less than two months later. I think there's a difference between adding to your kit and replacing parts of it soon after purchase (kit lenses are an exception, but for that reason I recommend buying body-only). You have us wondering if, after the 7D now you'll be onto a 5D MkII in April and a 1Ds MkIII by summer (or the 1Ds MkIV if that comes out first). [:P]

The other eye-opening part, for me at least, is your mention of considering a T2i - that's like buying a 2009 Accord, then selling it after a couple of months to get a 2010 Accord. I'd wonder if the fact that they moved the cruise control buttons 1" closer to the edge of the steering wheel spoke and added a second cabin air filter could really make such a difference...

I'm ready to "focus" on what my next lens purchase should be...

I'd vote for the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. You've got longer primes with fast apertures and great IQ, both of which your kit lens lacks. You've mentioned shooting dogs, grandkids, etc. - around-the-house shots. The 17-55mm focal length is ideal for that sort of thing - that's the lens on my camera most of the time, and the fast aperture and IQ are excellent. 17mm is wide enough for most landscape shots. I do also have the EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, which has its place and is a fun lens. But I really think you'll get more out of the 17-55mm at first.

Maybe I will take crappy photos no matter what I purchase but I will still have fun doing it!

Not true (the crappy picture part - I know you're having fun!) - the more pictures you take, the better you'll get. That's true of almost everything in life... []