Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 70-200 took one for the team

70-200 took one for the team

Out on the job and my backpack zipper gave out and let my 70-200 and my 580ex flash slam into the concrete. Dropped about five feet where I was having to jog to get a picture so it took even more of a hit. When the two items contacted the ground the impacts made an awful sound that will haunt my dreams. Sounded like a light bulb being thrown onto the ground where they pop when the explode. Filters all bent up where it looks to have taken most of the damage but the internals are screwed and it will need to be sent into Canon. Anybody know of a circumstance like this where a lens looses some of its image quality or does Canon test it to see if it still achieves top notch image quality. I am so mad I could piss blood! At least my 5D2 and the 16-35 II lens where on the tripod at the time and not in my now ripped to pieces backpack.

Re: 70-200 took one for the team

Quote Originally Posted by freelanceshots
    When the two items contacted the ground the impacts made an awful sound that will haunt my dreams.

The situation that you mention is one that I take every precaution to avoid - Especially when my gear is on my back. Zippers triple checked? Tripod plate secured? I'm sorry to hear about your accident, Freelanceshots. I hope everything gets back to working order in the near future.

All the best.

Thanks for the sympathy. Other then the filter folded over the lens body didn't get scratched so I'm still pretty blessed. My stuff slid across the concrete so I'm really surprised it wasn't all scuffed up. Also my trusty 580EX flash still works as this baby took a licking where I'd have to say its got at least 300,000 flashes on it and most of those where 1/1 power output.

Thanks for the sympathy. Other then the filter folded over the lens body didn't get scratched so I'm still pretty blessed. My stuff slid across the concrete so I'm really surprised it wasn't all scuffed up. Also my trusty 580EX flash still works as this baby took a licking where I'd have to say its got at least 300,000 flashes on it and most of those where 1/1 power output.

I am sorry to hear about your accident. I managed to drop my 16 - 35 I onto a ceramic tiled floor and it smashed the UV filter, distorted the mounting ring, broke the focus cam lugs and detroyed some circuitry. The glass was fine and although repairs was almost the cost of a new 17 - 40, the 16-35 was repaired by Canon service and works fine. If it were to happen again I would just replace with a new 16 - 35II but at least now I have it insured against accidental breakage like this! I watched the falling lens as if everything was in slow motion. Lesson? Changes lenses close to a soft surface!

good luck!

Hopefully mine won't need everything replaced like your lens did. I've gone a good 2 years without any equipment breakage where it could be worse. I hope the repair bill is not more then a couple of hundred dollars or I'll be even more sick!

I hope the repair bill is not more then a couple of hundred dollars or I'll be even more sick!

Here's hoping! [Y]

Not that I ever want to go through what you are going through, but can you let us know what Canon charges you to repair the lens?

Thanks!

--John

Hearing your story make my knees weak and I think I could melt on the sight of that happening to me. Hope it goes well soon.

- Angelo
    Cheers!
    --
    AnGelo Chiu (MrGreenBug in Flickr), Blog: http://mrgreenbug.blogspot.com

Filters all bent up where it looks to have taken most of the damage

An ounce of prevention goes a long way ...sounds like this littlefilter saved you from even worse damage and a heart attack! I would think Canon would run it thru a battery of tests to make sure you get it back in better shape than even before the crash.

Good luck & keep us posted on what they find.

Denise

Ouch...it probably would have scared the absolute shit out of me [:P] Hope your bill doesn't get too high!

I'm reading in your bio that you are a professional photographer. Isn't your equipment insured against falling like that?

Anyway good luck!

Jan